Saturday, May 11, 2013

Mother's Day...

I remember Scott closing the door behind him as he walked out of the master bedroom of our cozy garden home.  I could hear a little noise outside the door, mumblings from and almost one year old and a little rattling here and there.  When the door opened, little David came teetering through with a tiny box and a card and a smile as broad as his face.

He climbed up on the bed and gave me my first Mother's Day gift.  I opened the card first, and Scott had helped David scribble his name on the inside.  And then I opened the little box to find a gold heart with diamonds all the way around it.

It was a moment I will cherish for my entire life.

There's nothing like being a mom.  It's indescribable.  It's joy and pain and laughter and tears and hope and worry all wrapped up in a big package.  Sometimes I feel like someone has picked up the package and shaken it so hard that all the emotions are spinning out of control.  Sometimes I am quiet and still inside of my package enjoying and treasuring every moment.

What makes being a mom so incredible to me is the hope that one day my children will look at me and feel about me the way I felt about my mom.  That I am their voice of reason, their soft place, their constant source of unconditional love in this world.  If my children feel that way about me, my joy will be complete.  What more can any woman ask than their flesh and blood feeling that way about her?  I can think of nothing better.

This day... Mother's Day... they say set aside to recognize the one who gave us life... it will never be the same.  But she lives on through me.  She breathes in my motherhood as I work toward being the kind of mom she was.  Patient.  Wise.  Timeless.  Tireless in loving me.

I love you, sweet Mama!  We will be together again one day!

No comments: