Sunday, October 7, 2012

Potatoes...

I am thankful that she taught me how to peel potatoes.

This morning, I woke with potato soup on my mind.  On Friday I purchased all the ingredients and found what seemed to be a good recipe, and I was anxious to give it a try today since it's the coolest day we've had so far this fall.  I also woke with my mother on mind.  Thinking of something else to share about her today.  I am so glad I decided to do this exercise in thankfulness.  It keeps my mind in the right spot.

I can't say how old I was when she taught me how to peel potatoes.  I hope I was older than seven, because I haven't taught Madalyn yet.  But I was a different child altogether than my Madalyn, so that could have something to do with it as well.  Anywho... my mom taught me how to peel potatoes, and I thought it was fun to do it.  So whenever I saw her preparing a roast or hear her talking about mashed potatoes, I would ask to do the peeling.  When I got older, I was able to add the cutting, and I would sit with her in the kitchen and do my part to help.

She taught me a lot about the kitchen.  Poppy seed chicken casserole, homemade french fries, cinnamon toast.  The basics.  But so many women grow up not knowing how to do any of those things.  My repertoire of recipes wasn't incredibly varied as my dad had very limited tastes, but I grew up with knowing how to prepare a few dinners.

I thought about her while I peeled and cut the potatoes.  I tried to imagine what it was like the very first time I performed that task, but I couldn't.  I couldn't put a place or time on it at all.

Funny how I find myself thankful for the smallest of things, stuff I took for granted when she was here. But I look at the little things she taught me like peeling and cutting potatoes, and I realize my life would be so different today if she hadn't been that kind of mom.

I am so grateful my mom took the time with me when I was little to teach me how to peel potatoes.

No comments: