Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Lucky 13...

Today I am diverting away from my thankfulness project because it's my anniversary.  Well, our anniversary.  Mine and Scott's.  Thirteen years to be exact.

Usually thirteen has an unlucky connotation.  But when you've reached your thirteenth year of marriage, unlucky is the last word that comes to mind.

We are extremely lucky to have made it this far.

But it isn't all luck.  There's been a lot of effort and patience and sweat and tears.  I can't say that either one of us has worked harder than the other, but there have been times when one of us has had to carry the load.  Like the last year, I think Scott's load in the marriage has been a lot heavier.  Nearly losing my mom twice and then ultimately losing her so quickly in April has left me in emotional topsy turvy for the bulk of the last twelve months.  And my husband has risen to the occasion and been incredibly supportive.

It's taken our marriage to a different level, one where we really do see that we can make it through anything.  With a lot of prayer and patience, we can see this thing through.  And it's totally worth it.

October 9th.  It's a day that changed my life forever.  It's the day I casually said I do to a very young, wide-eyed man who had no clue what he was getting himself into.  Funny thing is we are still learning so much about one another even now and how we can be a better spouse for the other.  We are still growing up and becoming the people God wants us to be.  We are working on it every single day, and we are lucky enough to love and laugh and live along he way.

Today I am thankful for my marriage, for the good phases and the bad ones, for everything they have taught us.  I am thankful for a man who works so hard for his family.  I am thankful that we have both dug our heels in and made this life what it is today.  And I am thankful for a God who has orchestrated it all for us.

I love you, Scott!

1 comment:

Victoria said...

Happy Anniversary! :)