Monday, October 8, 2012

Advice...

I am thankful for her advice.

Anytime I had an issue, she was the first one I called.  Don't get me wrong... I love my husband's opinion and I have great friends, but she was my voice of reason.  It didn't matter how emotional the situation or how unfixable the problem seemed, she always knew what to say and how to put things in perspective.

Kinda goes back to that peace thing, I think.

I have thought so much about her advice to me over the years, and I have to say that the words I hang on to the most are, "Pick your battles, dear."  This is a phrase you grow up hearing, but the first time she told me was in the first few years of my marriage.  I craved her advice back then in those first unsteady years of getting used to marriage.  And I respected what she said.  So when she said those words to me about choosing which fights were important to have, I listened.  I won't say that it made a difference over night, but it resonated with me.  And since she had always been realistic with me about marriage and it's ups and downs, I understood.

She advised me in the same manner about the kids.  That some things, like respect and not hitting our friends and not saying ugly words, are worth fighting about.  But others, like our socks not matching every day and wanting to drink from a blue cup instead of a green one, are not worth the wasted time.

She delivered so much advice along the way.  A lot of it may seem like common sense when we stop and think about it, but to have her level, sound voice in my head reminding me to keep my calm and use my head in the thickest of situations is priceless.

I won't lie... I would give anything to hear her advice face to face again.  But I can't.  Instead, though, I have years of it stored inside my heart.  Even if it's something new going on that I never talked to her about, I can stop and ask myself, "What would she think or say about this?"  I knew her so well and had so many years of the words of wisdom that I can usually answer.  It's no replacement, but it gets me through.

I am so thankful for all the words of wisdom she shared with me about so many different things.  And I am thankful they can carry me through the years to come.

No comments: