Thursday, June 7, 2012

Thank you, Lord, for antibiotics.

Seriously.  I am so thankful to my Lord and Creator of the Universe that He created people smart enough to discover healing chemical properties on this earth.

I have been down.  Really down.  My throat felt like its walls were closing in on me.  I've been taking 2400 milligrams of ibuprofen a day for the past week for the pain in my throat, and all it did was lessen its severity.  My body felt like a log truck had run over it, dropped its load on top of me, and left me for dead.    When I say that I have been sick, I mean it, folks.

Yesterday, I made a second trip to a doctor and got a second round of antibiotics which already seem to be doing the trick.  And it makes me realize what an amazing world we live in... miraculous and awesome in so many ways, and all at the hand of our Creator.  His handy work is magnificent!

I have spent so much time cursing this land in which we live with its imperfections and sins and disappointments.  But the last couple of weeks, something has struck me right between the eyes.  Who am I to call God's creation anything less than amazing?

God saw all that he had made, and it was very good.  Genesis 1:31

I think about how I feel when I make something, whether a craft or a gift or what have you, and someone immediately wants to knock it and point out all its imperfections.  If I put all my heart in it, created something I have pride in, then why would anyone want to point out all the tiny flaws?

I've spent a lot of time lately focusing on the flaws.  The hurts.  Disappointments.  The cancer.  Death.  Sorrow.  Sickness.  But what I see today is the antibiotics.  The feel better.  The endless possibility just beneath the surface.  The way He has crafted it all so brilliantly and left a miracle around every corner.  The way it's not perfect, nor will it ever be, but the good still outweighs the bad.

So, thank you, Lord, for antibiotics.  For the miracle of this life.  For the lessons I am learning.  And for what lies beyond.  Amen.

No comments: