Monday, April 2, 2012

The past five days have been a bit of a blur.  I fought a tough chest cold last week, and just as I thought I was on the upward trend, Madalyn came down with a nasty little stomach bug.  Right in between the two illnesses came my mom's check up in Birmingham complete with scans and three different doctors.

Here's the news... there's no sign of a tumor in her brain!  This is unbelievable news for her!  My biggest fear was that in the month that she spent recovering from surgery and reclaiming her physical functions the remaining cells in her brain would rage within her and grow.  But they didn't.  The radiation oncologist wants to do an handful of radiation treatments to the area to kill off whatever may be lingering behind.  I can't express how gratefully surprised I was to hear this news.

The cancer in her liver displayed a little growth, but this was really of no surprise to us since she hasn't had any chemo since the week of Thanksgiving.  Her oncologist is not at all discouraged.  In fact, my mother told me that he said something along the following terms to her (I am paraphrasing, of course, as I wasn't there to hear it myself): "Some people may tell you that this is the end, but don't believe them."  Can you imagine having this man on your side?  A seasoned oncologist with such hope!  I thank God for having him on my mother's side... he is an amazing health advocate.  Amazing.

So the plan is this: radiation beginning this week, and then they will explore some other chemo options to treat the liver after radiation is finished.

I can't put into words what it is like to be my mother's daughter.  She has set before me this unbelievable example of strength and faith.  I am so blessed to have her and to watch her battle cancer.  I have learned so much about life just by observing her in these past two years as she has continued to beat so many sets of odds.

Please continue to keep her in your prayers as she fights!

No comments: