Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Greetings from Dr. Mom...

Even though I've been quiet over here in my little corner of the blogosphere, things have not been quiet at home.  David was sick with his third stomach virus of the school year last week, and now Madalyn is sick with a possible third bout with strep.  She's still asleep, so I haven't been able to formally assess her... the 2:30 am medicine dose and cuddle time doesn't allow Dr. Mom adequate amount of light and consciousness to make a diagnosis.

In other news, David got his braces put on yesterday.  Within three hours of leaving the office, I heard the words, "Mama, is this bracket loose or something?"  Surely not, I thought.  But, alas, we already have a bracket unattached to the tooth.  I am waiting a call back from the office to see when they want us to come in to have that fixed.  I had braces on my teeth for five years of my life and never had a bracket pop.  I am hoping this is not a sign of what the entire process will be like with David.

In case you didn't know, Lent begins tomorrow.  After several years of pondering Lent, of thinking about what I would give up if I observed it, of wondering what I should do, I have finally decided to participate in the tradition of sacrifice this year.  I won't be sharing here openly what I am giving up, but my closest friends know, and I will be writing out a formal covenant with God about it tomorrow.  I believe it will be a key exercise in self control for me, which is an attribute that I need to work on the most.

So there's a little update.  If I can get my kids well then I may have the ability to complete a thought in my brain.  Sleep deprivation and noxious fumes from nasty stomach viruses do not aid in the completion of thoughts.  Just take my word for it...

No comments: