Friday, February 10, 2012

Chances...

I've been going over a conversation I had with my dearest Madalyn earlier this week while I washed and conditioned her hair.  Here's a little recap...

"Mama, do you remember that time when I was still in kindergarten when I kept saying that bad word and kept getting in trouble.  You know, oh my..."

"Oh, yes, I do remember."

"I just kept saying it and saying it."  She's doing her little laugh while talking thing that she does in this breathy sort of way as if to tisk~tisk herself.

"Well, it's not a bad word exactly.  It's disrespectful toward God.  It hurts His feelings when you use His Name that way.  And you just shouldn't say it."

"Well I don't want to do that."  Her big brown eyes are swimming around in thought as I am rinsing her hair.  "I like God.  He just keeps on giving us another chance."

"Yes, He does."  I was delighted to hear her come to such a realization in her own little head.

"But not bad people.  He doesn't give them more chances."

"Yes, Madalyn, He does.  Even the bad people get more chances.  He forgives us and gives us a chance to do better."

She was floored.  "What?  Even the bad people?  Like robbers?"  I nodded.  "Well I just love that God..."

Me, too, Madalyn.  Me, too.  Now more than ever before.  And I was so glad to have the chance to share with her at her tender age that God keeps giving us all another chance.  This is a concept that makes no sense in the world.  Endless chances are unheard of here.  If I keep screwing up at work, eventually I will get fired.  If I continue to make mistakes in my marriage, my spouse will leave.  If I don't make my house payment, if I am not a good friend, if I leave the biscuits in the oven too long... a loss will incur.  Our world is tangible and conditional.  God's Love is neither.

I want my kids to know that.  When you tell that lie, when you drink that first sip of alcohol when you're way too young, when you go too far on a date with someone you think you may love, when you think you've done something unforgivable... think again.  He is not finished with you.  He has more to give, more love, more mercy, more grace.  His supply is unending.  He will never leave you.

Because of the LORD's great love, we are not consumed, for his compassions never fail.  They are new every morning; great is your faithfulness.  {Lamentations 3:22-23}


"Fear not, for I have redeemed you; I have summoned you by name; you are mine."  {Isaiah 43:1b}

No comments: