Friday, December 30, 2011

Contemplating the New Year...


I've been feeling contemplative the last few days.  It happens every year when there are less days left on the calendar than there are fingers on one hand.  Thinking on the where I was last year this time and how it compares to who I am today.  Thinking about who I want to be a year from now.  Thinking on fresh starts, clean calendar pages, new beginnings.

God gave me a passage yesterday.  And, yes, I am bold enough in my faith today to say that He put it in my life that very day for me to read.  See, I've been thinking about the year ahead, wondering what my faith will look like as enter a new year, knowing what I want from myself, knowing the power I need Jesus to display in my life.  This verse summed it all up for me through challenge and conviction in a way only the Living Word of God can.

His divine power has given us everything we need for life and godliness through our knowledge of him who called us by his own glory and goodness.  Through these he has given us his very great and precious promises, so that through them you may participate in the divine nature and escape the corruption in the world caused by evil desires.
For this very reason, make ever effort to add to your faith goodness; and to goodness, knowledge; and to knowledge, self-control; and to self-control, perseverance; and to perseverance, godliness; and to godliness, brotherly kindness; and to brotherly kindness, love.  For if you possess these qualities in increasing measure, they will keep you from being ineffective and unproductive in your knowledge of our  Lord Jesus Christ.  But if anyone does not have them, he is nearsighted and blind, and has forgotten that he has been cleansed from his past sins.
Therefore, my brothers, be all the more eager to make your calling and election sure.  For if you do these things, you will never fall, and you will receive a rich welcome into the eternal kingdom of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ.  {2 Peter 1:3-11}

Wow.  Powerful words on building a spiritual foundation.  I can see the progression in my faith, but if we view it in terms of steps, I still have a ways to go.  

I think I will always be in the pursuit of knowledge.  For me, reading the Word and finding new applicable things each time is something I will never grow tired of.  But where I fall short is finding a challenge in the Word, feeling convicted by something I read, but not taking the steps to act it out in my life.  Typing those words hurt my own feelings a little, but I am only being honest.  Faith is easy; faith through action is where I get a little tripped up.

I keep trying to write about what I want to achieve this year, spiritually speaking, and, truth is, I can't get it out right.  I don't have the words to say it or explain myself well.  But that Scripture moves me and outlines so many attributes I would like to achieve.  Faith.  Goodness.  Self-control. Perseverance.  Godliness.  Kindness.  Love.  But there are also two words I focus in on in the verse (once I remove their prefixes and turn them into positive words): effective and productive.  I want to be effective and productive for the Lord.  I want to start right here in my own house being more effective and productive for Jesus, showing my kids my faith, where it comes from, and what He looks like, not just in the big moments of life, but in the moments quiet and small as well.  I want to be a better advocate for the Lord, and boy have I got my work cut out for me.

Happy New Year, my friends!  May we all be more effective and productive this upcoming year!

1 comment:

Brandee said...

I love this passage of scripture! Happy New Year!