Tuesday, November 29, 2011

The weight of the season...

The past 24 hours, I have felt a wee bit overwhelmed. By all the boxes coming down from the attic of festive decorations. By the elf lurking in the closet downstairs... I swear I can hear him cackling every time the kids mention his return. Is it possible for a little stuffed elf to mock me? Overwhelmed by all the secular activities that this holiday season brings upon us whether we choose them or not. So y'all aren't doing your Dirty Santa party this year? Have you got that basket ready for the annual auction at school yet? We need to sit down and discuss the class Christmas party soon. What is Santa bringing your kids this year??????

Throughout the day yesterday, my chest tightened. I couldn't find the extension cords. A strand of lights on the tree for downstairs is out, and I fidgeted with the tiny fuses for 20 minutes only for them to remain dark. The arthritis in my hands is flaring up with the bitter cold outside. I haven't purchased a single Christmas gift yet, and it's almost December. My Christmas Eve tradition at my grandmother's house is over. The bits of pieces of the holiday season began to fall like snowflakes on my soul and were rapidly accumulating. A heavy blanket of fear weighed my heart down. This isn't what this should feel like. I love this time of year.

I woke this morning with Luke on my mind. Read the story, Tamara. Read it again and remind yourself of what was done for you. So I sat down and began with Luke 1:26. I didn't have to get very far before the tears welled up in my eyes and I felt the message the Lord would have me pull from the Scriptures today.

And Mary said, "My soul glorifies the Lord and my spirit rejoices in God my Savior, for he has been mindful of the humble state of his servant. From now on all generations will call me blessed, for the Mighty One has done great things for me - holy is his name. His mercy extends to those who fear him, from generation to generation. He has performed mighty deeds with his arm; he has scattered those who are proud in their inmost thoughts. He has brought down rulers from their thrones but has lifted up the humble. He has filled the hungry with good things but has sent the rich away empty. He has helped his servant Israel remembering to be merciful to Abraham and his descendants forever, even as he said to our fathers." Luke 1:46-55

I amazed by Mary's faith each time I read this account. It was no easy road that lie ahead of her, and I am sure she realized it. But she had a direct message from the Lord via Gabriel. Sometimes I wish I had Gabriel to whisk down from heaven and tell me which way to go or what has been laid out for me. But then I wonder... would I have the faith of Mary even under much less stressful situations? Obviously not. That's what led me to her story this morning in the first place.

Dear Lord, Father of my Savior and Father of mine, I praise You this morning for your amazing gift of Jesus to our world so very long ago. I thank You for the divine Word you left for us to read throughout the generations and for the brilliant lessons found within it. Help me, your humble servant, to find ways to glorify You in the midst of this crazy world. Help me to remember that I am not here to serve the world but to serve You. In your Son's Holy Name... Amen.


No comments: