Monday, November 28, 2011

Truths in nature...

The LORD reigns, he is robed in majesty; the LORD is robed in majesty and is armed with strength. The world is firmly established; it cannot be moved. Your throne was established long ago; you are from all eternity.
The seas have lifted up, O LORD, the seas have lifted up their voice; the seas have lifted up their pounding waves. Mightier than the thunder of the great waters, mightier than the breakers of the sea - the LORD on high is mighty.
Your statutes stand firm; holiness adorns your house for endless days, O LORD.
~ Psalm 93

There are certain truths in life. The sun rises in the east and sets in the west. Every day. The waves crash on the shore, and tides correlate with the position of the moon. The rains come and go. The world is firmly established; it cannot be moved.

I find comfort in these truths. I look for them in nature. Do you? Do you examine this amazing creation we stand upon every day and find the little things that are just simply true amidst all the things that can go so very wrong? Maybe it's the want-to-be poet inside of me, or maybe there are more souls out there {other than me} that find comfort in the tiny perfections of God's creation.

My family took a Thanksgiving get away to the beach. My parents rented a house big enough for our entire family to come and go as they pleased during the week. The kids and I left on Tuesday, leaving Scott at home as he had to work. My two brothers came the following night, the oldest with his wife and the younger with his daughter. We all worked together and made a fantastic meal for Thursday, and the kids enjoyed playing on the cooler than what they're used to beach. It was nice to be together, to be somewhere other than home for a change, and to watch the kids enjoy one another.

On Thursday night, I went out on the back deck to make a phone call. After hanging up, I sat in the darkness of the evening listening to the waves and studying the sky. The sun had already tucked its head below the horizon of the water, but its color still radiated from behind the curve of the earth. I was in awe of the beauty, and the longer I stared at it, the more defined all the colors of the night sky became. They were all present... red, orange, yellow, green, blue, indigo, and violet. A horizontal spectrum had formed over the distant waves, lines of color blending together perfectly as though painted on a canvas. Another truth. Scientific fact. The order of the spectrum in any way it's ever displayed, whether shining through a prism or a rainbow, is always the same.

Truth is comforting. In this world of disarray and modern chaos, it's nice to know how firm our world really is, or maybe how firmly held it is in the hand of its Creator.

You see, the reason I was there was imperfection. My mother's cancer brought us there, together for a holiday we don't normally gather for in a place which we had never all been together. And there I sat, alone, thinking, in front of this magnificent creation, beautiful and glorious, powerful and overwhelming. Experiencing the truth of the earth. Experiencing Him. Hearing his voice whisper to me, "I am. I love. You are mine." More truths of His that are harder to accept sometimes than the scientific facts.

When I stop and think about it, it's all that really matters. He's in control. He is mightier than anything His very hands created. He is from all eternity. And I am His. I am loved. And so are you.

It's a truth.

No comments: