Saturday, November 5, 2011

The One

I read this post yesterday, and it really got me thinking all day long about Jesus. Who He is. What He did. How He lived. How I should live because of who He was, is, will be and because of what He did.

I am just now getting to know Him. Even though I spent the bulk of my childhood in church, I never thought along the way that He was someone with which I could have an intimate bond. Jesus was another character in the Bible to me, and there He remained, in the pages, in the red letters of the New Testament. Not until a few years ago did I realize that the Bible is full of this amazing information, power, encouragement, and counsel. Oddly enough, it was my reading of Isaiah that brought me closer to Him and His Father. There is beauty in the promise of perfection, of sacrifice, of Zion to the people that you know will hand Him over and mock Him. There is beauty in the Father's pursuit of the people of Israel. True beauty.

You see, in many ways, I identify with the people of Israel. I felt like I was one of the chosen people in my youth. My father a minister, I was there every time the doors were open. I helped clean the baptismal and vacuumed in between the pews more times than I can count. I recall the day I stood proudly in front of the small country church my father first preached for and recited all the books of the Bible. I was so pleased with myself for having done so, my faith even in childhood based on my performance. I had a task driven perception of God; if I do good, God will be pleased.

But what happens to that performance driven personality when she begins to fail. To make the wrong decisions. To trust the wrong people. To seek the wrong things. To fall on her face. She unravels, and so does her faith and her pretty little picture of God and Jesus, those characters she had learned all about in Sunday School.

I was missing out on the reality. The grit of the Bible. The Noah that got drunk off his first vineyard once he made it out of the Ark. The Moses that all but argued with God about his calling and doubted himself. The way Paul spent the majority of his life before following Jesus. I focused on the good performances of all the characters and not on the realness of them. There's beauty in the realness, too, as there is a lot of realness in me.

As Jesus walked beside the Sea of Galilee, he saw Simon and his brother Andrew casting a new into the lake, for they were fishermen. "Come, follow me," Jesus said, "and I will make you fishers of men." At once they left their nets and followed him. {Mark 1:16-18}

Jesus is The One who can simply say, "Follow me," and people actually do it. Have you noticed that? Have you let it sink in that people literally dropped what they were doing, left it all behind, and followed a man they knew nothing about. Oh how I would love to have seen Him face to face! Can you imagine His magnetism? We experience it to some degree in the Scriptures, but to feel it in person... I just can't imagine.

... Jesus said, "It is not the healthy who need a doctor, but the sick. But go and learn what this means: 'I desire mercy, not sacrifice.' For I have not come to call the righteous, but sinners." {Matthew 9:12}

Jesus is The One who can stop the madness. His way is fairly simple, and he came to fulfill the rigorous performance driven law of the Old Testament. Where I fail, He makes up the slack. He pushes me to be better, but He wipes my tears when I fail. He was the sacrifice in the midst of chaos so that I can experience His peace. He loves me anyway.

The Son is the radiance of God's glory and the exact representation of his being, sustaining all things by his powerful word. {Hebrews 1:3a}

Jesus is The One. He sustains all things. He is the reason I haven't completely fallen to satan's tricks. He is the reason I seek, I long to know more, I try to live better, love better, be better. He is the One Sacrifice that trumps all others. He is the only One needed.

I am so thankful to be developing a relationship with Him. What about you? Do you know Him? The One? Want to know the absolute best place to find Him? In His words, in the words His Father has left for us. They are there for us to learn, to know Him, to hear what He has to say. Read them. They are beautiful, challenging, radical words. Soak in the whole story, not just the pretty pictures you may have learned in your childhood.

On a side note, there's a beautiful study of the words in Hebrews going on right now on Wendy Blight's blog... join us if you are interested! Week one has been incredible! And it's all about The One.

1 comment:

Victoria said...

It is all about Jesus!
Praise God for His Son!
This post is so powerful, simply because HE is the focus! Nothing else could even be, without HIM!

Thanks Tamara! Great read to start my day and help set my mind on God!