Monday, October 31, 2011

Radiant Faith

I am such a word nerd. But not in terms of an over-educated, stuffy, PhD kind of nerdiness (or smartness), but more in this weird way I attach myself to certain words and fall in love with them and giggle with delight when I see them throughout the Scriptures. In fact, the only time I am really a word nerd is with the Bible. I guess the Bible is the only written word that I've ever been in love with all these years.

Take, for instance, the word radiant. The word alone makes me take a deep relaxing breath. I love it, its meaning, and specifically how it's used in the Bible. Here's a couple...

Those who look to him are radiant; their faces are never covered with shame. Psalm 34:5
Then you will look and be radiant, your heart will throb and swell with joy. Isaiah 60:5
The Son is the radiance of God's glory, and the exact representation of his being... Hebrews 1:3

There's just something about that word. Radiant. Glowing. Emitting light and life and warmth. It's what I'd like to be, and I think that's why it's caught my eye and won my heart over. So when I saw it used in the verse in Hebrews this morning, I knew I was headed in the right direction. Today is the first day in an online study on Hebrews on Wendy Blight's blog. If you've never visited her online space, you should. She's an amazing, strong Christian woman that's so full of knowledge and love of the Scriptures. And she's hosting an online study of the book of Hebrews entitled Living a Cross Centered Life. This is the first week, and we're taking it one chapter at a time, so there's still time to join in if you'd like.

Anywho... so I began reading this morning, and I started with the introduction to the book in my Bible, and already I am challenged. The book of Hebrews was written to the Jews back in a time where, as a Jew, you either accepted Christ's life, death, and resurrection, did not accept it and were still waiting on the Messiah to come, or you wavered. When I stop and think about our reality today, not much has changed. There are believers, there are non-believers, and then there are those that believe but struggle to keep it in in play, wavering back and forth from the old way of life to the new. Here's a quote from my study Bible's introduction to Hebrews: "Those who did accept Jesus as the Messiah often found themselves slipping back into familiar routines, trying to live a hybrid faith." That statement pierced right through me, and it also confirmed I am in the right place, the right book of the Bible. And then, only three verses in pops up a variation of my favorite word...

I'd like a radiant faith, not a hybrid one.

All this being said, the book of Hebrews promises to be challenging. So if any of you out there want to join in, it's not too late. Head over to Wendy's blog, and enroll in the sidebar.

1 comment:

carrie said...

Signed up for the study, too! Looks great!