Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Well, here goes...

I'm not much of a blogger lately. Every time I sit down to write a post, I just can't finish it. But here's my attempt to catch up all of those on the edge of their seat for an update on my life!

My mother had an impromptu appointment with her oncologist last Thursday. She was scheduled for her second round of chemo, but with all the problems she had been having, he wanted to see her. In fact, he made a special trip to the office to do so (she was scheduled for lab work at 9:00, and he doesn't see patients until 1:00 in the afternoon). He's a pretty amazing doctor. Her liver functions had improved, and the doctor decided to put the treatment off a week to give her a chance to rest a little and in hopes that some of her negative side effects would diminish. As of yesterday, she is still in a lot of pain. She's experiencing sores in her mouth, under her tongue, and some in the upper part of her throat. Please continue to pray for her... even if the chemo is doing its job, if she's in as much pain an discomfort as she is, it makes every day difficult for her. She will have her 2nd round this Thursday, and prayers are greatly appreciated.

We took Madalyn to her first Auburn game this past Saturday. We scored eight free tickets from a friend of ours, so our family and Scott's brother and his little boy made the trip. That left us two extra seats and plenty of room to breathe. On the way to the game, Madalyn seemed to be most excited to see Aubie, which surprised me a little. I figured she'd be most interested in the cheerleaders. We sat pretty high... perhaps the highest I have ever sat at a game. But we were able to see everything, and don't forget the word FREE. Madalyn had a great time and didn't really complain until the end of the 3rd quarter, at which time a trip to the concession stand for a $5.50 funnel cake and a sit down in the shade to eat it calmed her spirits and put her back in the mood to cheer her Auburn Tigers on to a nail-biting victory.

Yesterday afternoon, I went and picked up my mom and brought her back up to Alabaster to watch Madalyn cheer. I was so glad that she felt up to doing it. The weather was perfect, which is rare in Alabama ever, much less this time of year. It was warm, but not hot or humid, and the air cooled off nicely as the sun went down. Madalyn was so excited to have her Gammie there, and I was able to get her a chair in just the right spot to see her well. It really ended up being the perfect experience, and Scott was able to tend to the kids while I picked up and dropped off my mother. Seeing both my mother and my daughter smiling because of one another made me smile on the inside. There really are no words for that...

I'm working away on my necklaces, and coming up with some new ideas. I've been tossing one idea around in my head for a very long time, and I think I have finally come up with a way of bringing it to fruition. We'll see. The ideas aren't the hard part... putting it all together is. But that's also the fun... I really enjoy using my creative spirit and my hands to make something beautiful, and I am so grateful to have it as a diversion right now. Beyond grateful.

Okay... not my typical post. But I am not my typical self right now. I can't explain the things going on within me, and I wish I could wax poetic on some random topic, but it's just not in me right now... hoping it returns soon. I miss me. Well, you know what I mean...

1 comment:

Victoria said...

I will be praying for your mom. I cannot imagine how hard that all must be on her. I pray God's perfect will in her life, and that He is glorified and magnified through it all! I pray that she have comfort and peace and joy and happiness that overwhelm the bad and painful parts.
And I pray for you and your sweet family through this time. That God will strengthen your faith and your family ties and that you will grow because of what you are having to endure.
With love in Christ,
Victoria