Monday, September 26, 2011

Almighty...

Consistency... it's the rarity of life. Take, for instance, my exercise attempts; they are rarely consistent. Last Monday, I woke with a vigor to work my muscles. Tuesday morning, I was so sore I could barely move. My vigor turned sour in 24 hours time... I had over done, and that led me to under do. I find it difficult to maintain a steady pace in most everything I do in life, from exercise to Bible reading. But that's my humanity shining through.

When I think about consistency, I think God. He's right as rain all the time. He simply is, but His being a far greater than simple. The depths of God's existence are beyond comprehension, but they are steady. He was, He is, and He will continue to be. Before I was, He was. While I am, He is. And after I am gone, He will still be. There's joy in that for me, especially in this crazy modern world. We use a cup or a plate once and throw it away, so longevity has become something that can only be understood through God.

In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth. Now the earth was formless and empty, darkness was over the surface of the deep, and the Spirit of God was hovering over the waters. {Genesis 1:1-2}

This is what the LORD says - Israel's King and Redeemer, the LORD Almighty: I am the first and I am the last; apart from me there is no God. Isaiah 44:6

I am the Alpha and the Omega, the First and the Last, the Beginning and the End. Revelation 22:13

There's comfort in consistency. There's comfort in knowing that a being far greater than my comprehension was there in the beginning and will be there in the end. In fact, He was there before the beginning and will carry on past the end. Before there was structure, God was. He created the structure. He has overseen the advances of culture and society. He will call it all to an end one day. He will continue past His designated end of days. He will reign forever more. In that belief lies hope. Just to believe it, accept it as Truth, bubbles up a feeling of joy within me.

And maybe that's what we need a little more if these days in our world. Simple belief in God's magnificence. In His existence. To believe that He is who He says He is. That He can do anything. That He is alive. Many of us say that we believe, but do we really? Do we really stop each day and consider how He is in control of this big rock we are spinning on? That in one millionth of a second He could call it all to stop? Do we really soak up the power and glory that is God? I don't... but I can only speak for myself.

This week, I really want to pause and think about God. Not about reading my Bible and praying for all the sick and struggling people I know of. I want to see Him in all that's around me. I want to think about His power and strength and majesty. I want to consider Him as the Almighty. What a beautiful term... almighty. It's defined as having absolute power over all. Absolute. I don't know of any absolutes on this crazy earth other than God. Do you?

Lord... I want to know you as Almighty. I want to feel it in my imperfect self and put it to work. I want You to work your absolute power within me so that I can be closer to the person You want me to be. Amen.

1 comment:

Brandee said...

Amen Tamera! He is El Shaddai! He is God Almighty and the one for whom nothing is impossible!

Hope you have a blessed week sister!

Hey and just a side note, I was the same way on exercise until I found Body Gospel. It is great and now I look forward to my four days a week I do it. For me I am an all or nothing type person, trying to find balance. I do it four days a week and am good with that. You should check it out :)