Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Just not morning people...

I am not a morning person. At all. I don't like to wake up, and when I finally do, I don't really like to talk to anyone for at least a solid hour or two. I can't say how old I was when I started disliking mornings, but I remember in high school carefully calculating how late I could sleep and still make it to school on time with my hair fixed. I was never late but was a master of the snooze button. It's an art, you know.

Fast forward twenty years and I have my own snoozer. She doesn't like mornings, and she's only SIX. God help me when her hormone levels teeter back and forth, up and down, and she stays up too late talking on the phone to some dreamy eyed teenage boy. I will need an IV drip of all sorts of medication. I am pretty sure that she'll be tardy for school once she's old enough to drive herself. I am pretty sure that our mornings will continue to grow more difficult by the year. And I am not looking forward to it.

This morning, she was tired. Then she was cold. Stomach hurt. Foot hurt when we put shoes on. Ear hurt when I accidentally bumped it with the comb during the detangling process. Dear me. There were tears and pleas to stay home, to go back to bed, to hold Piggie, her beloved sleep companion. Mornings like these rip my heart out, test my patience, make me want to scream and do a shot of whiskey before 8 AM...

It's tough, being a mom. Finding the balance of tenderness and firmness. Madalyn is one of those children that makes the line of balance even more blurred. I want to hug her and tell her that all will be fine, but then she just cries in my ear, which makes me want to pull my hair out. So, I softly reassure her that she will feel better once she gets to school and moves around a bit, and I dress her, tie her shoes, comb her hair, wipe the tears from her little face, and physically carry her to the car, wishing all the while that she wouldn't do this EVER.

What can I say? We're just not morning people, me and her. Though I've never done my mornings with alligator tears...

1 comment:

connecting with the soul said...

oh lady I can sooo relate to your first few sentences I am not a morning person either, although I don't stay up horribly late, I just dont like mornings- I get up and have my coffee and quiet time, but don't ask me to make decisions or converse with anyone for at least an hour. And I need coffee ( 2 cups) before I even think about thinking. .. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your little girl. I remember those days of not wanting to go to school. Why dont they start about 11. have a great day!