Friday, July 22, 2011

Tooth Fairy

I shot up in bed around 1:30 this a.m. We forgot the tooth fairy.

I got out of bed, turned off the alarm, and made my way out to Scott's truck in search of the $5 bill he said he had. I looked in his wallet, in the console, and in that cubby thing in the door of his truck. No luck. Buddy, who was sleeping in the garage last night, just looked at me in complete confusion. He wanted to be by my side, but he was still in dreamland.

I hated to do it, but I had to wake Scott up to locate the cash. It's only Madalyn's second tooth, and we had just had a lengthy discussion in the car about the tooth fairy.

"Well, some people don't believe in the tooth fairy. They think your parents put the money under your pillow," says David, holding the pillow pet he just HAD to have at Old Time Pottery. Big ten year old, I tell ya.

"David, you should know Mama and Daddy never just give you money for no reason..."

"Yeah... Kyla says she don't believe in the tooth fairy." Madalyn chimes in. Sad, I think, that a kindergartner didn't believe in the tooth fairy. But pretty smart angle for the parents.

"Why would you get money for teeth anyway. That's weird." David is still trying to make sense of it all in his brain.

"I don't know, buddy. I always did, though." I try to keep a low profile about it all. I don't want to outright make up falsehoods, but I want my kids to enjoy the same mythical, magical parts of childhood that I did. It's a slippery slope.

But that's what keeps me going. Keeping the magic of childhood alive. Where Santa is real, some weirdo is paying kids for a collection of tiny teeth, and a giant bunny brings chocolate on Easter Sunday.

I'm just so glad I woke myself up and remembered. I don't think we could bounce back from forgetting. Tooth fairy would be dunnso in our house. And I also got a break from the weird dream I was having about my car behind stolen and being at the hospital with the perpetrator and his pregnant girlfriend whose blood sugar was above 700 and trust me the dream gets weirder and weirder by the second. I need to see a doctor about my dreams. It's getting really old. I have totally gone off topic here, but I am recovering from a two-week crazy dream marathon.

At least I remembered the tooth fairy.

2 comments:

Rebecca said...

So glad you remembered. Brooks lost one of his teeth one time before the tooth fairy came. Funny, the tooth fairy never brought him anything for that lost tooth!

Chelle said...

As you know, the Tooth Fairy and I have a long and torrid history. I'm almost looking forward to the day that the Cub no longer believes. He's almost thirtenn; should be annnny day now...