Thursday, July 14, 2011

Dreams

I think I have shared with y'all before that I have these incredibly vivid dreams. Not sure why, but I do. Are certain people more prone to dreaming? Or are some just more likely to remember them? I don't know, but I have always been fascinated by my dreams, and I believe that they want to communicate something to me. Is it my subconscious teaching me... is it my soul speaking to the rational brain... not quite sure, but they are there for a reason.

My first memory of vivid dreaming was around the age of six. The setting was a 7/11 gas station in Montgomery, Alabama on the Atlanta Highway where we visited regularly. In my dream, I walked away from our family car for some reason. There was a Pepsi delivery truck in the parking lot parked facing the highway, not unusual from how they park when they are unloading a shipment. I walked past and the driver grabbed me. I could see his face, every detail of it, in my mind's eye. And it stuck with me for days. I didn't want to be alone. I didn't want to let my mom out of my sight for fear of being kidnapped. The dream was so vivid that it had become real to me.

I still dream like that. When I am asleep, I am living in this alternate world that seems so real. About a week and a half ago, shortly after we left for our trip, I had a strange dream in the wee hours after I woke up and went back to sleep. I dreamed of some classroom or lecture scenario. I sat in a desk with a notebook taking notes down. The lecturer was a man at some times and then would change into a woman. They taught from one of those old school, over-sized spiral bound flip charts with key points written on them in bold marker. I don't remember any of the subject matter or key points except for one. The male teacher said we were about to talk about Ephesians 6:13, and it was written in black marker as he flipped to the next page of the chart. And then I woke up.

I thought about it as I went about my morning duties. I wasn't even sure how many chapters Ephesians had. So as soon as I had a minute to myself, I sat down to look it up.

Therefore put on the full armor of God, so that when the day of evil comes, you may be able to stand your ground, and after you have done everything, to stand.

When I read it, I got the chills. I felt like it was some sort of message. Would I be so bold as to believe the Holy Spirit that I know lives inside of me was delivering a message, a passage directly to me, through a dream? I don't know... I don't know how any of you feel about this, but I can't make any sense of it any other way. Because of the dream, I feel compelled to spend some time with Ephesians, especially that final section that talks about the armor of God. Get to know it. Prepare myself. I am getting the chills all over again.

I guess that's the part of life that remains uncertain throughout. The next day. What lies ahead is a mystery. But to feel like there is a day of evil ahead is a little scary. But I guess evil could be any number of things. I am going to stop focusing on the evil part and draw my attention to the armor part. I think that's the message that needed to shine through.

What do you think? Do you believe that God talks to us through dreams sometimes? Do you think it's a time that the Holy Spirit uses to plant things in our minds? If you feel comfortable, share your thoughts with me! I'd love to hear what you think...

3 comments:

carrie said...

I absolutely believe God guides in these areas through the Holy Spirit. I myself got chills when I read the verse. My first thought was fear of what would be in your future. Then, I got hope. Hope that you would have His armor to protect. Like you said, evil is ahead in many ways. What is comforting is that He has provided you with the armor you need and has sent you this dream to remind you. I just love that Holy Spirit He equipped us with. I am learning more and more about it and am learning to lean on it.

Rebecca said...

Isn't it amazing how God comes to us!

Erika said...

That's funny, I forgot to tell you about a dream I had last week or so. We were at Landmark, but you were the speaker. You gave a rousing sermon that everyone really liked. Afterwards, you saw me and said, I didn't know you were going to be here. I said, I always come. I sit between mom and Faith Ann. ha ha And yes, I do believe God/Holy Spirit can talk to us however He wants.