Wednesday, June 15, 2011

VBS

If any of you out there are wondering, "Why is she so quiet???" ~ let me tell you why. VBS.

Last year was the first year I helped with VBS at the church where we attend when we go. It's such a large church that even if I were a true member, I don't think I would know any more people there than I already do. Seriously. I helped in the drama department last year which really was a ton of fun. I saw a ton of different kids but didn't really have that one on one thing with any of them. So this year I signed up to be a crew leader, which basically entails corralling 14 kids ranging in age from 6 to 10 for three hours.

I know that VBS is for the kids, but, man, they are teaching me a couple of things, too.

Today, I looked around at the 500+ kids in the morning session. They were singing, dancing, raising their precious little hands, jumping, praising, and having a big time. I realized in the moment that joy is God's desire for us all. Christianity is not supposed to be a life of dullness, sitting on our hands in the pews, yawning as we watch the time tick away. We should be full of life, full of God's love, full of excitement if but for no other reason than what's been done for us.

So that's what I'm doing right now. I am acting an utter fool... looking like a nut... dancing through the motions of all the songs for Pandamania VBS! And loving every minute of it!

7 comments:

connecting with the soul said...

I too had a ball at VBS, although I was the assistant, just watching as these kids learned is just awesome. One lil boy I am usually with during Sunday school looked at me like I was an alien. prob wondered why I wasnt with him during that week. I was actually checking out some of the other teaching styles the other teachers had for older kids ( when I wasn't assisting. Definitely something to remember.

Erika said...

There was a little girl in front of us Sunday, she was about 4, in her daddy's arms singing and raising her hands. About brought me to tears.

connecting with the soul said...

Children bring such energy to church don't they.

Brandee said...

Amen!!!

carrie said...

Todd loves that kind of worship. He does not have any problem raising his hands and clapping. I love that he can do that freely! My acts of worship have changed so much over the years and I love it! Glad you had a great week!

sharon said...

HEllo I just want to say hello to see if I have set this up right. I am so happy to be doing Hidden Joy Bible study with you and all the other ladys I am very great for melissa for making this happen. Take Care God Bless Sharon

connecting with the soul said...

Hey Sharon, Glad your aboard with HJ bible study as well. Are you blogging about it as some are? I know I'm learning alot from those on Melissa's blog as well as others , on top of what I am learning personally.