Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Rolley Polley

My daughter has a fascination with rolley polleys. I am more fascinated with the several different ways one can choose to spell roly poly/rollie pollie/rolley pollies. And yet there is no official Wikipedia for the common bug that rolls itself up into a little ball when picked up. Anywho...

I have this memory. I was about six, right around the same age as Madalyn. I collected a cup of rolley polleys, grass clippings, and a little dirt, and sat down on the den floor in front of the television to teach them tricks. I was convinced that I could do so with a popsicle stick, that I could persuade them to walk across the balance beam I had created from one cup to another with the little sliver of wood.

At that point in time, I was caught in that in between place ~ right in the middle of being afraid of bugs and not being afraid at all. At six, I still had classifications. Rolley polleys were not really bugs, and neither were lady bugs or butterflies. But at some point in most girls' lives, all moving insects become bugs, whether they are harmless or not, and therefore gross. That's where Madalyn is right now... still fascinated with most bugs, not completely afraid of them but not altogether welcoming of the creatures either. Her favorites are the rolley polley and the lady bug.

It's funny to watch my daughter do something that I once did at her age. Funny and scary. How firmly will she travel my footsteps? Will she be better at all of this than me? Make better decisions? Be smarter and more savvy? Cry less and laugh more? Will she realize before I did that you can't teach a rolley polley tricks? That try as you may, a sweet little girl can't talk a rolley polley into crossing a popsicle stick...

I hope she figures out a lot of things in a more efficient way than I did. I pray...

2 comments:

connecting with the soul said...

I love/d rollie pollies, it was snails I cringed at. I was fascinated at how they can roll up into a ball to protect themselves- maybe secretly I wished I had had that many times in my childhood. Snails were smashed on the side walk because they destroyed my grandmas flowers ( we didn't like them) To watch our children marvel at things we used to is and can be great fun and memories. Have a good day,

Deb

Victoria said...

Aww, that is close to my heart as well! My daughter Aspen just the other day picked up a roli-poli (lol) at my dad's and was showing me how cool they were. I stopped to tell her how my sisters' and I used to pull up the bricks around my grandparents' walkway searching for these little bugs...we too were fascinated by them!
Thanks for sharing...
I pray the same things about & for my daughter too...It's so weird to watch them grow up right before your eyes :)
Have a blessed day dear sister in Christ!