Monday, May 9, 2011

Weekend to remember...

As I mentioned in my last post, my mother came up to my little town on Friday, and we were able to hang out without any kids for a few hours. I love my kids; don't get me wrong. It's just that when they are around, they tend to monopolize the conversation. When it's just me and mom, we can talk about whatever we want to talk about, not poots and cell phones and pink shoes (odd combination of topics, I know, but you get my point).

Friday we talked about flowers, the future, things pressing on my mind over pizza at Olive Garden and that amazing salad. We shopped for a belt for my grandfather. We looked at paper together and talked over new ideas for jewelry. We just hung out. Just me and her.

Saturday, I went down to Montgomery with the kids to do three things: birthday party for a nephew and to visit both grandmothers (which happens to include one grandfather as well). I watched a four year face light up when he saw his cousins (mostly because of David, but he loves them both!) show up, a little late because of an unexpected Saturday morning practice, but there just in the nick of time. I watched my children walk right in to the nursing home completely at ease and without fear, and it meant the world to me. I don't want them to be afraid and have weird memories of when they used to have to visit their grandparents in the old folks home. And I saw my other grandmother smile when I gave her a custom necklace just for her. Both of them have one now, and to see them delight in something I have made for them makes my heart smile.

Sunday morning, I got a card from my precious little ones. Madalyn had proudly written her name as neatly as her little fingers know how along with a caption, "I loves you mom." David signed his in cursive, and it's the prettiest I've ever seen him write. I know without having even been in the room that he had to stick his tongue out the whole time it took to write it. David brought even more joy into my day by cutting the back yard, proving that he is able to lift and dump the clippings bag. The lines were even acceptable to this neurotic mama, and he has no idea that he'll begin earning his keep this summer.

I planted flowers just like I planned. Me and Scott laid on the lounge chairs and talked while the kids played and swam with friends. And I just can't imagine a weekend more perfect than that. I think it's one I will remember for a long time. For a long, long while.

No comments: