Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Sometimes your children render you SPEECHLESS...

Madalyn is fascinated with carrying a stuffed animal to school. I remember David being the same way when he was in kindergarten. I didn't understand it then, still don't. I guess there are children in the class that carry loveys to school with them for various reasons, but I don't feel it appropriate to carry such items to real school.

This morning, Madalyn came to me with a little beanie baby sized Dalmatian begging me to allow her to carry it. Her platform of argument is always the same: I will try not to get in trouble with it, I promise. Real convincing.

The following conversation is real, I promise. I will try to be as discreet as possible about a certain word she used {in complete innocence, of course} in case there are any virgin ears {or should I say eyes?} reading this post.

"But I wanna take P*@#% to school..."
"Excuse me, what's the dog's name?"
"P*@#%."
"Oh." Long pause, not knowing quite how to approach the the area without tainting her vocabulary. "And where did you hear that name?"
"I don't know."
"Well, did you hear it somewhere, or did you just make it up?"
"Oh, I made it up..."
"Well, I can't say that I like that name very much. What about Spotty? See all the black spots all over him?"
"SPOTTY! Yes, I love that!"
"Then Spotty it is!"

There are several words in the English language that I literally NEVER say, and Madalyn's choice of name for her wee Dalmatian happens to be one. I was so taken aback by hearing it come out of her precious little mouth. I panicked at the thought that she had heard such a word being used in conversation somewhere, but I also realized that this child makes up names for all her stuffed animals, and they tend to be a little crazy at times. I didn't want to call attention to the fact that it was a vulgar word because I felt certain that one of two things would happen: she'd immediately feel the compulsion to use it several times a day, or she'd be embarrassed that she had said an ugly word even though she had no idea it was naughty.

Oh, dear me. The fun is only just beginning.

1 comment:

Rebecca said...

When Reese was little, he would make up words and say them over and over. One day he said the F word a bunch of times at my mom's house. I had to reassure everyone that he didn't mean what he said.