Friday, May 27, 2011

My day at the spa was amazing. As a matter of fact, it would have been perfectly fine with me to have stayed there. I have never in my life been pampered the way I was in that 24 hour period, and quite possibly may never be again! I was greeted with a gift bag at the spa, complete with Vera Bradley cosmetic bag and three travel sized True Blue Spa lotions. When we checked into our room, we were given a beach bag with a few goodies inside. I enjoyed two spa treatments, a massage and a facial, both free, gratuity already paid. We had a lovely buffet dinner out on the patio with an open bar. It was as though someone had opened up the gates of the land of free...

But one thing ran through my mind all day ~ my mother. She called her doctor that morning to talk about the increasing shortness of breath, and he scheduled the drainage to be done the following morning. Truth is it doesn't matter where I am or what I am doing or how many free spa treatments are being thrown my way, I always go back to the thought of my mom. While at Ross Bridge, I kept thinking, "I wish my mom could be here... I wish she could do this or that..." I don't know if this feeling is normal for a child of a parent dealing with a chronic illness, but it's my reality. Everything I experience I find myself wanting to share with her. Wanting her to be there.

The doctor drained a liter of fluid from the pleural lining of her right lung, the opposite side from last time. I don't think any one of us realized that it was building up on the other side now, and I was completely shocked to hear it. I mean, technically, I guess it's not bad news, but it was surprising.

I really wish they could insert a drain that would drain all her body of the cancer. Wouldn't that be nice? And then we could celebrate with a day at the spa at Ross Bridge. And we'd all live happily ever after...

I think that's the toughest part of life right now. Being fully aware that there simply isn't a happily ever after here on earth. If there's ever been a time I've been made fully aware, it's been recently.

Continued prayers for my mom are appreciated. She will return to the doctor on Thursday to follow up on the drainage procedure. I have no idea if her oncologist would choose to see her on that day or not, but it wouldn't surprise me. Just continue your prayers... thanks in advance.

3 comments:

connecting with the soul said...

Spa treatments are so great. Enjoy them. And I am praying for your mom. There will be a day we don't have to worry about sickness anymore....

Deb

Erika said...

I'm glad she went ahead and had the fluid drained, even if I'm not glad she needed it. Not being able to breathe is not fun.

Rebecca said...

I have never had any kind of spa treatment, so I wouldn't even know what I am missing. So glad you enjoyed your day.
Continued prayer for your mom!