Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Friends...

Get your tissues ready...

We met in the 2nd grade. We both had brown hair, corresponding eyes, and similar brains. We learned quickly, completed our work with vigor, and formed a friendship in the classroom when we were done with our math worksheets.

I moved away in the summer between 3rd and 4th grade. I don't remember keeping in touch very much, but back then, all we had was long distance phone calls, loose leaf paper, and envelopes with 20 cent stamps. I never forgot my friend back home in Montgomery, Alabama, but I carried on with life as usual, forging friendships along the way.

My family returned home shortly before school began my ninth grade year. During one of my first weeks back in town, I went to a youth group function at church, and was delighted to see my best friend from grade school. And that was that. We were instantly friends again, no questions asked, as though I had never left at all.

We've been through a lot together over the years. I have fond memories of us at fifteen pining for our first kiss. We believed we were the only fifteen year old girls on the face of the planet minus hairy warts on our face that had never been kissed by a boy. I doubt we were, but it most certainly felt that way. There were yucky boyfriends, the ones that treated us ugly, the ones that didn't like us back, the ones one we thought were keeping us apart from one another. There was high school graduation, college classes, meetings in the cafeteria at AUM, and many laughs shared in the coffee shop at the mall. There were bridesmaids dresses, engagement rings, unwrapping toasters and dishes and towels, and growing up along the way. There were tears. A lot on my part. And she had the best ears ever. She cried along with me, too.

Then there were babies. Laughs, concerns, struggles, impatience, tears along with all that, too. There were losses. There were all the moments that neither of us knew what to say. There were prayers. There's been cancer scares and the real deal. There's been two marriages full of disagreements to mull over and figure out. There's always been the end-all solution to all of life's problems: Let's just run away together and eat for the rest of our lives. We say it all the time knowing full well either of us would ever do it, but it sure does sound fun. And we have always laughed at the thought.

She's my best friend. Sure, I have my husband who is my best friend. And I have my mom that's more dear to me than I could ever put in to words. But nothing beats your best girl friend. She's been there through so much, she's heard my unedited thoughts, she knows what I am thinking before I put it into words. I just don't know how I would have made it through so much of what I've been through without my bestest buddy.

Two are better than one, because they have a good return for their work. If one falls down, his friend can help him up. But pity the man who falls and has no one to help him up. E
cclesi
astes 4:9-10

I am so thankful to have had someone to pick me up. And listen. And laugh with me. Or at me. Or make me laugh when I needed it most.

I love you, Erika! {Oh, and obviously, there's one more thing coming in that package that will be in the mail soon... I promise.}

4 comments:

Rebecca said...

You two are so lucky to have such a bond! Love you both!

Brandee said...

Love this post! Girlfriends are the best :)

FYI, I got all that stuff to the lady in my neighborhood that was going to AL. I think she was going this past weekend. I have ended up having to go to the ER this week and am going to have gallbladder surgery Friday. Been not the best of weeks the past week or so but I did want to let you know I got all that stuff to her and I was so happy to help!

Brandee

Ora said...

You are both very fortunate to have each other. What a sweet post. :)

Erika said...

I love you too!!!! Side by side or Miles apart.