Thursday, April 21, 2011

Taking up my shield...

This morning, I prepare myself for battle.

Lately, seems like there are more battles to fight during the day. Ever feel like that? Ever feel like Satan is hovering around you and infusing his thoughts into the people you're connected with to carry out his plan. Mind you, since God's plan and Satan's are always right opposite from one another, I can usually feel the spiritual tugging back and forth.

God seeks to elevate me. Satan wishes to push me into the depths. God wants me to rest in His mighty hand. Satan tries to drown me under the weight of this imperfect world.

Just last night, I heard Satan's laugh. He will stop at nothing. He is intimidated by my purpose right now, and I feel the heat of his panting on the back of my neck. The Evil One is orchestrating in ways I never dreamed possible, and, just last night, I felt the sting of another attack.

I was reminded of a passage from the Psalms...
The enemy pursues me, he crushes me to the ground; he makes me dwell in darkness like those long dead. So my spirit grows faint within me; my heart within me is dismayed. {143:3-4}

In the margin, I wrote Satan pushes us into depression. I look back over my life and see a pattern of depression. Hereditary? Perhaps. But what is more common throughout the generations of this world than the ongoing spiritual warfare between good and evil? I know, for me and my spiritual life, depression has threatened to separate me from God more so than my actual sin. Depression puts me in the dark, a place where I feel uncertain, unloved, unworthy, and I am pretty sure Satan claps his hot hands when he sees me there.

I woke this morning with that Psalm on my mind. Funny how my God provides for me like that. I don't have it anywhere near memorized, mind you, but I could see my handwritten note in the margin on the pages of my brain, and I hunted through my Bible until I found it. I ended my night in prayer, asking the Lord to give me a freshness in the morning, to shake off the arrows of the Evil One, to move forward in peace. Here's what comes later in the that Psalm I quoted above...
Let the morning bring me word of your unfailing love, for I have put my trust in you. Show me the way I should go, for to you I lift up my soul. Rescue me from my enemies, O LORD, for I hide myself in you. {143:8-9}

I can't comprehend a life without God. He works in these amazing ways in my life every day. I feel His presence even in the worst of situations. He calls me nearer to Him, He sets my internal GPS, and He washes me in His grace every single morning. He gives me all I need every single day, whether I realize it or not. In God, I have a full armor; I simply have to take the initiative to put it. So, today, as I prepare myself for another day of battle against the ways of this world, I've decided to put on my shield of faith...

... take up the shield of faith, with which you can extinguish all the flaming arrows of the evil one... {Ephesians 6:16}

I will literally wear it, as well, so that I keep it in my mind all day long. Keep moving forward... God is on your side.

1 comment:

Victoria said...

Those scriptures were just what I needed today.

Thank you so much for sharing.

I know I feel as you do at times, today actually being one of them...I'm frazzled by the world as satan shoots flaming arrows at me.

I'm going to join you today in taking up my shield of faith and know that I am protected by The Great One from all that satan attempts to throw at me!

Thanks again for the reminder that in Christ we are well-equipped for spiritual battle.
Have a blessed day lady!