Thursday, April 28, 2011

Spared...

Yesterday's weather was beyond frightening. I have lived in the South all my life, residing in several states in my youth ~ Alabama, Arkansas, Louisiana, Northern Florida, and my short stint in Georgia during my first marriage. In all my years worth of tornado warnings and sitting in closets or hallways, I have never felt the way I felt yesterday.

There's something to be said for modern technology. I bustled about my basement, straightening, vacuuming, cleaning away with the nervous energy from the looming bad weather. I watched live as a tornado ravished through the streets of downtown Cullman, a small town a good ways north of where I live. I watched live as a tornado followed through the incredibly populated college town of Tuscaloosa, knowing this storm could possibly be heading toward us. The footage of these storms was unbelievable, as though a brilliant graphic designer had configured it perfectly in his computer to make your jaw drop open and gasp for air. But this was real. And it was tearing apart the physical lives of so many right before my eyes.

My aunt and uncle lost their home last night, but I am happy to report that they are safe and are be tending to by their family and church friends. My family was spared the grief of death, but so many families in my beautiful state have not been so lucky.

I love where I live. We are good people in Alabama. We are kind and loving, slower in pace, less caught up in the fluff and fancy of life. No, we're not perfect, and some may say we're too simple, but I am proud to be from Alabama and am already impressed by the kindness of those living in my state as they reach out to help those in need.

Please pray for all the families effected by a tornado outbreak of historical proportion. If you are interested in donating items, please contact me via email {crazymamacreations.com}. I have a friend in my area that is organizing the collection of supplies to be taken to the Pleasant Grove, Tuscaloosa, and Pell City areas.

2 comments:

Brandee said...

Tamera, I have been thinking about you since I saw all this last night. I have family in North AL and I talked to my cousin last night and they are safe. Her sister-in-law lives in Cullman and she said their home was destroyed but they are fine. As my husband said, homes can be replaced, lives can not. We live north of Nashville so we did not have warm enough temperatures to have the massive tornadoes but we did have bad weather and were watching it all day because we knew that could change at any moment. My son was home from school and my husband worked from home. I am so glad to know you and your family are safe. I have been thinking about you and wanted to check on you today.

In Him,
Brandee

connecting with the soul said...

I am so glad to hear that your family is alright. Although my family is in Ark. I dont have contact with them, all I can do is pray they are alright. My thoughts and prayers go out to you and others who are in this path of crippling storms.