Monday, April 11, 2011

Question for you...

I have to cut the front yard today, or my husband will fire me for not meeting all the specs outlined in my occupation description. I have tons of laundry to do which includes two pair of very dirty baseball pants currently soaking in a bath of Biz. The bed needs making, the kitchen floor needs mopping, I have three orders that need to be worked on, and I have a chapter to read in my current online Bible study. But I am writing this blog post first.

Sooooo... what's your favorite Bible verse? As in the one that sends chills down your spine or that challenges you the most or that speaks right to your heart. I think mine changes throughout life. Right now, if I had to pick one it would be, "Arise, shine, for your light has come, and the glory of the LORD rises upon you." {Isaiah 60:1} There's just something about that verse that enables me to hear God, actually hear Him speaking right to me.

See, for me, I heard and felt God's presence from an early age in my life. Raised in a very religious home, I thought I had an understanding of who He was and how He felt about me. Until something happened. Until I fell incredibly short and was hurt because of it. Until my soul was wounded. Then I felt shunned by God, punished, damaged. With my old concept of God that had been strung together in my little perfectionist mind as a child, I believed there was no place for me in God's Kingdom. Until I read Isaiah. You see, God wooed the Israelites back after failing, sinning, worshipping idols, willfully disobeying the Word of God. He begged them to come back to Him. So, in my adult mind, I realized that if God felt this way about the people of Israel, why wouldn't He feel that way about me? And then factor in Jesus who would intercede for me, and it looked like more of a possibility to me that God could forgive even me. The nineteen year old me that carried a burden in my heart of being somewhere I shouldn't have been, doing things I shouldn't have been doing, and placing my trust on someone other than God. Yeah, that girl ~ the one who had been running the show for way too long and not letting it go so that the real me could carry on.

How about this version of the same verse from the Message: Get out of bed, Jerusalem! Wake up! Put your face in the sunlight. God's bright glory has risen for you. I love to insert my name in certain verses, and in this one, it works perfectly. And I love to think about God's glory rising for me.

So, that's my favorite verse for now. And I pose the question to anyone who reads this post... what's yours? What verse speaks to you at this point in your life, whether you are completely content, battling an illness, in financial strain, going through a divorce, having a baby... God's word is perfect for all times of life. Here's the game I want to play: Go up there to the right corner and click the "like" button and leave a comment under my status about my new contest. All you have to do is give me the Book, chapter and verse of your favorite Scripture along with your favorite color. I'll pick my favorite (no cutting up 35 pieces of paper and scribbling names this time ~ I'm just gonna pick the one I like best!) and create a custom pendant for you to have. I may even add it to my repertoire... who knows! This is what I long to do for women, so I want to get it started now! And what better way to start something than to do a give-away. If you don't have a Facebook account, feel free to leave me a comment on this blog, and I will enter you in the mix!

And don't be shy... PLEASE! I love getting feedback and comments and hearing verses that inspire others! Please join in the FUN!

I'll be taking comments until midnight Wednesday evening, so start thinking!

2 comments:

Dianne said...

Isaiah 40:31 KJV, Always have to remind myself to wait. God is on his time, not my time, and his time is the perfect time. Favorite color is red.

carrie said...

I am loving reading other people's verses!