Friday, April 1, 2011

No fear...

When I was in middle or high school, the skater dudes wore these tee shirts that said "NO FEAR" on them in some wicked looking font. Don't know why that sticks out in my mind; I can't say I was ever attracted to the skater type, but I remember the shirts none the less.

Last night, as I lay in bed knowing I'd have to pick a verse this morning to focus on and commit to memory over the next couple of weeks, I felt especially challenged. The past week has been a whirlwind in more ways than one. There have been some incredible things to celebrate, and there have been some major disappointments. How does one find a verse that marks this place in my life? That's what I've been trying to do ~ find verses that mean something to me right now. I prayed that God would lead me to a verse this morning.

And, just like God always does, He provided. He never disappoints.

There is no fear in love. But perfect love drives out fear, because fear has to do with punishment. The one who fears is not made perfect in love. 1 John: 4:18

I was looking for a clean piece of paper in a notebook this morning, and found this verse written underneath another verse from 2 Peter. I scribble verses all over the place. I don't know why. Part of it has to do with that I can generally keep nothing all to myself around this house! If I start a notebook just for verses, it turns up in one of the kids' rooms with Crayola scribbles all over 80% of its pages within days. So it was funny to me to find this verse, and it completely made my mind spin.

I've based a lot of my decisions in my life on fear. On what if? Not just spiritual decisions, but personal as well. To me, God wants me to realize that there is no fear in Him. Just a couple of lines above this verse is the simple yet prolific statement: God is love. So if we know that there's no fear in love, then there's no fear in God. No fear.

Here's the definition of fear from my 4th grader's Webster's Dictionary for Students:
fear n : a strong unpleasant feeling caused by being aware of danger or expecting something bad to happen

There'll be none of that in God. No unpleasantness, expectation of bad. In fact, after a quick Google search, I learned that the Bible tells us not to fear well over 300 times. That's a lot. And to me, that says that must be a pretty important part of living in the Lord. What I'm gleaming is that if I am connecting in with the love of God, trying to share that with others in whatever way I can, and attempting to follow His will for my path, then there should be no fear.

A life of no fear sounds great to me. Not of failure, of loss, of sickness, of pain. A life of no fear would mean that my life was so full of love that there just wasn't any room for fear. Because if I completely understand His love for me, then I can rest knowing He will take care of me. He will not allow me to be overcome.

No fear.

1 comment:

connecting with the soul said...

I love coming to your blog, each time I do your message hits right between the eyes. And often times thats a good thing cuz it gets me to re think and refocus my attention Today was fear. and the things that cause me to fear. saying the wrong thing or eating the wrong thing ( fearing it will affect my body wrong) always fearing the unknown.. When we as woman are to walk by faith not sight. We are to trust God not ourselves.... Thanks for the reminder,,,