Friday, April 22, 2011

Good Friday

Good Friday. Every day should be a good day when you think about these words:

Therefore, there is now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus, because through Christ Jesus the law of the Spirit of life set me free from the law of sin and death. Romans 8:1-2

There's something about the word condemned. The sound of the word itself puts the image of an old, dilapidated house barely standing after years of neglect. On one of the outside walls is tacked a public notice of condemnation by the governing officials of the land warning passers by to stay away. Condemned. No good. Worthless. Set to be torn down.

That's pretty much the human plight, isn't it? Dilapidated. No good. Outer walls and roof full of holes and every window broken. Citizens of our fallen world looking in and seeing nothing but our mistakes, criticizing every move.

Through the death of one man, the only sinless human that ever walked the face of the earth, we have been set free from condemnation and the death that goes along with it. How amazing is that?

I noticed something for the first time in this verse just this morning as I typed. The Spirit of life. Jesus died and left us a Spirit of life. I like that thought... I've always loved the thought of the Spirit living within me, but knowing the it is a Spirit of life brought about by a death... well, it makes it all the more special.

Am I living as though I have the very Spirit of life inside of me? There's a new challenge to take hold of every morning. Live with the Spirit of life infused in every fiber of my body. Live as though I've been set free from the condemnations that coincide with this world. Live every day knowing that He suffered for me, allowing that thought to seep in and effect my way of thinking and acting and loving. Will I ever be perfect? Nope. But the glory of it is that I don't have to be.

I hope anyone reading this has a beautiful weekend making precious memories with those they love most in the world. And beyond the bunnies and the baskets, think on the tomb. The empty one left behind. Then think about the Spirit of life that takes residence in your heart.

No comments: