Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Clearing of the fog...

My mind has been in a fog for the past several days, the fog of humanity clouding my vision. My prayer life, Bible study time, blogging ability, and everyday mood have been affected. But this morning, the fog is lifting and I am feeling back to me.

So, what's been happening in the midst of my fog?

We played a tournament on Friday and Saturday night. I really wanted to buy the tee shirt (yes, most tournaments have tee shirts for sale... they will stop at nothing to make money off of us!) because the name of the tourney was the Easter Egg Scramble or something like that. But I refrained. Anywho... we played a 10 year old AA tournament for a couple of reasons. We wanted to challenge the boys, and it was so close to home and wouldn't infringe on any of our family's plans for the Easter holiday.

There are so many things to talk about in terms of the tourney. The size difference with some of the boys was hysterical. We are a relatively small team, most of our boys being average size with only two boys larger than average. On Saturday night, we played a team from Hoover, and the pitcher who took the mound for the first pitch of the game was the same size as my husband. I kid you not... he was the same height and weight as Scott. Our first batter is one of the smallest kids on the team, and his mom was seated next to me on the bleachers. She looked at me and said, "There's no way..." I disagreed with her, and hit her on the leg when her son got a hit. In baseball, it's not all about size. Technique and composure top physical size, and my little Bandits have plenty of that to go round. We held our own, and the Hoover team beat us by one run in their final at bat.

I think we placed 3rd or 4th out of 12 ten year old teams. Not too shabby.

Easter morning, we loaded up and headed south to go to church with my parents. They've been visiting a Presbyterian church in Millbrook. I am not certain why they chose the Presbyterian church... that's one of the few denominations I haven't visited, so I was glad to see what it was like. There were ladies in hats and their Easter best, and the little old lady sitting in front of me had her black patent pocketbook lying on the pew bench. Reminded me of my childhood. When the preacher (or is it Reverend?) started speaking, he began talking about Liz, a woman diagnosed with cancer who went through all the treatment only for the cancer to return. The two minutes he talked about Liz seemed to last 45. I squirmed in my seat as he used various adjectives to describe cancer... deadly, fatal, mortal, incurable. I asked God, "Why on earth are you allowing us to suffer this? And in Your very house?"

As he continued to speak, I understood. I understood why God would have us be a little uncomfortable. I realized what my Father wanted to remind me of. Hope. He talked of hope. Hope in a God who is able to raise the dead. Hope in Jesus who was able to remain free of sin, suffer in the cruelest death, and conquer the tomb. Hope in something that is bigger than any problem on this earth. Hope.

I think it was important to be reminded of Hope in Him. We all get so caught up sometimes placing our hope in people, on success, financial gain, security, relationships, love, and various other things of this world. But what I need to remember in the midst of any problem or trial is that my hope needs to remain in Him, the only one who can teach and mold in the most challenging of circumstances, who can sustain us, who will protect us and intercede for us. Why would we place our hope in anything of this world when we have God as an option?

May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace as you trust in Him, so that you may overflow with hope by the power of the Holy Spirit. Romans 15:13

No comments: