Thursday, March 3, 2011

Trip to the Orthodontist...

I totally should have been an orthodontist. If you take away the eight plus years it takes to become one and factor in how immaculately their offices are decorated, they must roll in the Benjamins at record speed and then pile them up in neat little stacks in the corner of their offices. I'm just sayin'.

David and I took the supposed-to-be twenty minute ride to the orthodontist this morning. We jumped on I-65 at exactly 8:38 and headed north only to come to an abrupt stop about a half a mile up the road. Lovely. Within a few minutes, the voice on the radio alerted my ears as to the cause of the hold up. There had been a multi-car accident involving a cement truck in between our current location and the ortho office. Over my right shoulder, I saw the flashing lights of an ambulance making it's way through the center of the two lanes. I knew we were in for quite a wait.

Usually, sitting in the car creeping along at a pace just a hair slower than a rollie-poly would not be something I deem enjoyable. But in the moment, I realized that I had my nine year old son captive sans MP3 player, PSP, DS, or little sister. Jackpot.

We talked. Laughed. Listened to tunes together. Sang. I listened to David's random thoughts and all his what if situations (that I would normally internally roll my eyes at). My favorite had to be, "Mama... what if the cement truck spilled cement all over the road?" My little man has the coolest mind. He has this ability to dream and imagine in ways that most kids his age don't have. And, to be quite honest, I've been missing him lately. I miss the real him, not the nine year old version of my sweet baby boy that rolls his eyes and tells me how mean I am.

See, lately, if he's at home, he's out the door as quickly as possible. Or on the phone. Or simply not talking to me. And I guess I never expected it to come this early. I didn't realize that at nine he would have the attitude of a fifteen year old teenage girl with fluctuating hormones. If I had known how quickly it would go away ~ the precious Mama's boy that loved me so dearly and thought I was the funniest, prettiest lady in the world ~ maybe I would have appreciated all the inconveniences of him being younger a little more. Or maybe not. I don't know.

We finally arrived at the orthodontist thirty minutes late. When I went in to use their restroom, that was when I realized just how much money orthodontists make. That bathroom was more beautifully decorated than any room in my house. Well, more beautiful than the combination of all the rooms under our roof. I digress...

David's mouth is coming right along. In the past three weeks, he's lost three teeth, and the orthodontist showed me all the loose ones telling me they would be falling out at rapid speed. And I believe the next time we go, it will be time for some metal placement in his little baby mouth. And that will really make him look older.

Where does the time go? I don't think I can handle this growing up thing any longer...

4 comments:

carrie said...

Does he have braces or is he getting them? We are about to go into that stage I think. How much do they cost now (obviously a lot if the bathroom is that nice)? We have to pay 50% and I am wondering what that runs now.

carrie said...

Sounds like that cement truck accident was just what you and David needed. Glad you got a snapshot of your little boy that is growing up!

Erika said...

That's nice. I'll have to remember this as Peyton and I make the trip to AL next week.

vmlm said...

Your posts yesterday and today are right no target. My baby boy Hunter just turned 1 year old yesterday. It was a bittersweet day for me.
I looked over all of his pictures through his first year...really trying to remember his smell, his soft skin, his little cry- and it truly is hard to remember, even after such short time as a year.
It's been a hard couple of days realizing just how fast time does go by...I'm learning to cherish each and every moment of my little one's lives- my daughter Aspen will be 5 in June, and now my boy is 1.
Thank you for your post. And good luck with all of the dental work :)