Saturday, March 5, 2011

Plans...

Today was all planned out beautifully. The Bandits were scheduled to play their first tournament for the spring down in Millbrook, Alabama which happens to be where nearly all our family lives. We had a double header at 10:45 and then would break until 4 in the afternoon. I had been to the grocery store, loaded up on Powerade (which, by the by, is on the buy-one-get-one FREE list at Publix this week), fruit, chips, and the fixings to make sandwiches and chicken wraps for our meals. I even sprung for a twelve pack of real Dr. Pepper.

I made the sandwiches last night, washed off and bagged strawberries and grapes, packed a change of clothes for the drive home for both the kids, and mentally prepared myself for a day in the rain at the ball park. I was particularly excited to have the opportunity to steal away during the break and visit my grandparents at the nursing home just a matter of miles away from the ball park.

At 7:21 on the nose this morning, our coach called to inform us that the whole day had been cancelled because of the rain. I was disappointed that I had spent so much energy preparing for a day that wouldn't happen, but at least it's already done for tomorrow. But what I found myself disappointed about most was that I wouldn't be seeing my precious little grandmother today. I had been looking forward to it all week. Not that anyone looks forward to visiting the nursing home ever, but I long to see her sweet little smile one more time. I live in a state of fear that I may never see it again...

So just as rules are made to be broken, plans are made to be changed. We will be spending the entire day in Millbrook tomorrow, and somehow I will manage to slip away long enough to hold hands with my grandmother for a minute or two and see her childlike smile one more time. Happy weekend to all!