Friday, March 11, 2011

Jingle Jangle

As I picked up Madalyn's backpack to put the check for her lunch account in her folder, I heard a little jingle jangle of change. Funny sound because cash is virtually obsolete at our elementary school. Lunch money is dispersed electronically via a super-cool little keypad, and each child has their own unique pin code. The only cash one sees in the lunchroom is for the occasional ice cream sandwich or the poor visiting parent that hasn't learned the just sit there and not eat trick and actually pays $4 for a meal. I digress...

So Madalyn's backpack is jingling like my granddaddy's pockets, and I put my hand into the side pocket to investigate. She's got about a dollar's worth of loose change, and I quickly called out to her, "Madalyn, where did you get all this change?" Her big brown eyes tell me she'd rather not discuss it, but after I ask again, she finally replies, "Darwin gave it to me. You know - I told you he likes me."

Madalyn is that girl... the one that walks in a room and takes ownership of it, not necessarily on purpose or by controlling things. She just has a way about her, a certain magnetism that people of all ages are drawn toward though they don't understand quite why. She is beautiful, no doubt, and I would obviously think it even if she really wasn't because I'm her Mama. But it's more than her outer shell... it's something about how she is. I can't quite put my finger on it. And I dare say that poor Darwin can't either, or he wouldn't have dumped the contents of his change cup into her tiny palm.

I never was that girl. I was timid, insecure, scared to be seen or heard in a crowd, terrified to ask a question or make a request. So watching the fruit of my womb skirt so easily through life stuns me, leaves me questioning how in the world does one parent a force such as that. But I suppose I'll figure it out along the way. This morning, I told her that if anyone wanted to give her money again to politely decline ~ tell them thank you, but why don't they buy them self an ice cream at lunch or save it. I don't know what else to tell her, and I can't say that she'll heed my advice, but you see the route I am trying to take with her. I don't want my daughter to be that girl that learns to take advantage of other people, especially not in kindergarten.

Charm is deceptive, and beauty is fleeting; but a woman who fears the LORD is to be praised. Proverbs 31:30

Oh, Heavenly Father... help me to be the kind of mother she needs and teach her how to be your girl.

No comments: