Thursday, March 31, 2011

Humbled...

Can I just say that I have been completely humbled by the support I've received over the last two days?!?! By my bloggy friends, by perfect strangers, by my face-to-face friends, family... the list goes on and on. And I want to thank each and every one of you. I wish I had the words to describe the feelings swelling up inside my soul, but there are none quite adequate enough. None. In the words of the grandma on Hope Floats (please tell me you love that movie, too!) spoken in the most beautiful Southern drawl... My cup runneth over!

I know I promised a post on why I chose the words I did for some of the pieces and the special verses that go along with them, but I have something else to share. It hit me while I was making the bed yesterday morning, putting the fresh sheets on for the week. I got to thinking about the process of creating one of these necklaces.

It all begins with a metal washer. Nothing fancy. Flat, about 2 inches in diameter, silver, and with a stinking hole in the middle. I wished I knew the first person who ever looked at it and said, "You know what... that would make a great pendant!" And I wish I had the kind of mind that could have seen it without being shown. To be honest, when I held one in my hand for the first time, I didn't think it could amount to much of anything. But once you've glued a circle of pretty paper and stamped a special word and poured on a layer of epoxy to make is shiny as glass ~ well, now you've got something completely one of a kind and beautiful.

That's where it hit me... that's what God has done for me. He started with something so small, a little cell which would become the 30-something mom I am today. {Psalm 139} He infused His mighty power and called me by name and claimed me as His. {Do not fear, for I have redeemed you; I have summoned you by name; you are mine... Isaiah 43:1b}

Then, somewhere along the way, He covered me in His Son's blood. I can't tell you the very moment I was saved. Some would say that it was the night I was baptized at Dalraida Church of Christ in when I was seven. I'm not so sure I understood it then nor appreciated it at all as I had nothing to be saved from during those times besides talking ugly to my brothers if they ate the last Oreo in the pantry. If I had to pick a time in my life when I first felt saved, it would be last Spring. I felt redeemed, reclaimed, refreshed, repurposed. And I felt loved by a being greater than any other being in the universe.

The part of the washer process I am in right now is the epoxy phase. This, my friends, is the most tricky. See, when I mix the epoxy, it gets all these tiny bubbles in it. The folks I ordered it from say it's self-releasing, which basically means all those bubbles are supposed to rise to the top and release. For the most part, that's true. But I have to check on it periodically to make sure, and I stand over those almost complete washers with a needle popping the bubbles that refuse to release themselves. Once that epoxy is dry, it looks like glass (my precious David, whose questions never cease to amuse me even at nearly ten years of age, asked me, "How'd you get that glass on there, mama?"). Clear. Shiny. Indelible. I soaked one of them in water for HOURS because I didn't like the way it turned out, and it never gave way.

I am so imperfect... I make so many mistakes... I fall so very short most every day of my life. But I am thankful for a God who has a process lined up for me. And I rest on the faith that I will be so shiny and beautiful when He's done with me. And that just makes me smile.

Check back later today for the winner of the drawing from the comments I received!!!! I am going to do it up real PROFESSIONAL and all, complete with photos to prove it! Thanks again, y'all!

1 comment:

Chelle said...

Your pendants are just beautiful :)