Thursday, February 17, 2011

Together again...

To all of you who have prayed for my sweet Mama, thank you so very much! I am happy (though the happiness may seem odd to some) to report that my grandfather was moved to the nursing home on Tuesday. Both my grandmother and grandfather are now under the same roof, making my mother's life a ton easier. They were able to cut out the household expenses like telephone and cable and prescription medication as well as the sitting service my grandparents had utilized for the past two years. The cost of aging is very expensive, my friends. Very, very expensive.

I am hoping that my grandparents are much happier now, too. They've been married just a couple of days short of forever. Seriously. I think my grandmother was 14 or 15 years old when they said I do, so that would put them at around at my approximation of 76 years of marriage. And if that didn't make your heart stop beating for a moment, then I don't know what would. I am sure my husband just had a mild heart attack at the thought of putting up with me for another 65 years... I digress.

One of the nurses reported to my mother that they had a hard time getting my grandfather to go to his room on his first night (they are in separate rooms right now, but will be together when the nursing home is able to put them together). The nurse wheeled him back to his room, and then he told her, "But I can't go to sleep without kissing my beautiful wife goodnight." So, the nurse wheeled him all the way back to my grandmother, and then he was satisfied.

I stop to think about 76 years. A whole life. Four births. The loss of their oldest daughter in an accident over thirty years ago. My grandfather's Naval service in the earliest part of their marriage. My grandfather had many heart attacks over the years, and my grandmother has lived with pulmonary fibrosis for over twenty years. They worked side by side countless springs planting a garden of vegetables in their back yard. I've seen them squabble over the years... my grandfather was always on the go back when he was still able to drive, and I am sure that pushed my grandmother to the brink of insanity. But somehow, they made it work. All those years, all the tough times, the good times, the cold days, the hot days ~ they just made it work. And now they are like kids again, holding each other's hands and inseparable partners.

I'll be heading down there to visit them on Saturday, and I am excited to see them. Every time I make the trip these days, I wonder if it will be my last. It's this strange emotion of not wanting someone so much a part of who you are to go when really they are already gone. Right now, I am just leaning on the fact that I have been blessed beyond measure to have them around for as long as I have.

In other news, my mom is coming up my way today for an injection which means that we will be bale to hang out for a little bit, just us two! That always makes me happy! We don't get much time to ourselves, and when the kids are around, we often can't carry on a conversation about much of anything. I think we all know how that goes...


2 comments:

Erika said...

I'm glad they were able to move your grandfather to the NH too. Hopefully, they will have a room together soon. 76 years, wow. Most people just hope to live that long.

carrie said...

Isn't it amazing how quickly God answers prayers sometimes! I am glad they will be together soon. 76 years is a long time. What a blessing for you to be able to witness that! Time with you and your mom is priceless isn't it?