Friday, February 11, 2011

Tidbits of totally unnecessary information...

Around 2:30 in the wee hours of deep darkness, Madalyn crept into the bedroom, arms full of furry friends, and climbed into the bed. Funny thing about when she climbs into the bed; seems like she just gets herself on the bed and doesn't scooch herself to the middle. She's quite difficult to move over, too, even though she tops the scale at around 45 pounds. Even when I successfully move her a couple of inches, she slowly eases back over toward me, pushing me to dangling off the edge. Not comfy. Not much sleep. After about two and a half hours of this lovely game, I picked her up to go back to her bed in hopes I could get a solid hour in. Dear me. My brain is operating in intermittent spurts today (which is probably less uncommon than I'd like to admit), hence the tidbits theme.

In other words, today's post will have zero relevance to anything. ZERO.

~ I love coffee. I don't know why, but some days, I take that first sip and literally say the words to myself in my mind. Wow, I love this stuff. Like, is it okay to love coffee as much as I do? To covet the taste. To lay down at night and think, "I can't wait to drink my coffee in the morning." I allow myself a cup and a half, but if I were honest, the amount I drink would probably equate three average cups. My mugs happen to all be rather large, and I drink half of it and then fill it back up. And then, I want more, but I don't want my heart to pop out of my chest (at least not before 8 in the morning), so I stop there. I am thinking, though, that this morning, I deserve more.

~ What is the deal with people taking pictures of them self in a mirror? Please tell me I am not the only one out there that sees this as a grave societal issue. Take, for instance, the Craigslist Congressman (how would you like your entire career to fall down to that tag line???). Grown man, well educated, obviously successful, yet chose to take a picture of himself, shirtless no doubt, in the mirror. People under the age of say 20, I can chalk it up to youth. But even then, it's incredibly stupid, and dare I ever catch my children in the bathroom mirror with their camera phone, they will be schooled on my beliefs. But the Congressman... wouldn't he at the very least have a personal assistant who could snap the photo for him or schedule a photo shoot. He could lie and say he had been doing P90X and needed to do the after picture. He could do nearly anything other than stand in front of the mirror and take a photo of himself flexing his bicep. Honestly, I know that's the least of his worries at this point ~ perhaps he should have requested his wife take the picture...

~ Completely related back to the Congressman... why do perfectly intelligent, successful, grown men do stupid stuff like post fake profiles on Craigslist and look for women? Not saying that women don't do similar things, but this politician thing just seems to be running out of control.
~ My son's cleanliness... it's a hopeless cause. Last night, we searched the house for Madalyn's MP3 player. The two adults in the house had conflicting remembrances of its last know whereabouts. Madalyn was glued to what she referred to as a new show of Wizards of Weatherly Place (I have come to know that new means I haven't seen it enough to have memorized the entire dialogue of the show.), so Scott and I were running around the house in search of missing MP3 player that we paid for. I entered the domain known as DAVID'S ROOM, and not to long after that, removed the PSP from David's hands and told him he could have it back when his room was clean. What really got my blood pressure up was when I saw clean clothes shoved in the closet floor............. I spend do much time doing laundry, especially now that baseball has started, and if there's one way to tick me off it's to make the already mounting task even more difficult. We talked about responsibility, pulling your own weight in the house, and then this morning, he still left his partially eaten Pop Tart out without throwing it away. No comment. I love him anyway. I love him, I love him, I LOVE HIM.

~ Up to 55,000 words on my novel in progress!!!!!! This is exciting!!! More than you can imagine EXCITING!!!! And after writing, reading over, re-reading, editing, editing some more, re-re-reading, polishing, reading again... I still love my characters, love where they're going, and waiting for the ending to play itself out in my mind and on the computer monitor! It's as much a mystery to me as it is to the imaginary people in the pages... I love writing. I love the whole experience. It's unlike anything I've felt before. The only thing I can truly relate it to is how I felt after David was born ~ I worked so hard to get him out, literally using every muscle in my body and every ounce of strength God could lend me in the moment. It was a deeply spiritual moment, and I still remember the words I shared with God. And every time I sit down with my little world inside the manuscript, I have that same emotion from when David was born, like this magical thing is being born from me. I'm hooked. I want to write for the rest of my life. And I hope that my words will somehow bring just one person closer to God...

So that's my morning ramblings in tidbit form. Every time I hear the word tidbit, I think pineapple, so that officially makes me weird, I think. I also think, in light of my last statement, I may need to catch a nap today...

2 comments:

Kristin said...

Sadly, the way you feel about coffee is the way I feel about coke. It's bad. Yay! on the progress of your novel! How wonderful! I, too, love writing, but the thought of a work of fiction is way intimidating to me. I'm so proud of you. Can't wait to read it one day!

Rebecca said...

I love these kind of posts....a little of everything!