Wednesday, February 16, 2011

South Beach, Round Two

A couple of years ago, I tried out the diet craze otherwise known as South Beach. What attracted me to the plan was that it was more a change in way of thinking about food than just a diet, shifting your source of fuel from carbs to protein. Anyone that knows me understands my fatal attraction to CARBS. Crunchy, salty, sweet ~ I am not impartial. Cookies, cakes, chips, Cheezits, candy, carbs, carbs, carbs!!! I love them all!!!

Anywho... as I stated, I gave it a try and actually found it relatively easy to follow. For a couple of months. Then baseball started, and everything went to hades in a tote bag. Do you know how hard it is to follow a healthy eating plan at the ball park? It ain't easy; we'll leave it at that. But instead of maintaining the healthy choices at home and working hard to stick with lean proteins and God-made carbs when not at the ball park, I just went right back to my old patterns. So, the ten pounds I lost on South Beach, I gained it all back. Plus another 10. And it's all around my belly.

So, right now, I am faced with this dilemna: lose weight, or buy ALL NEW CLOTHES. Hmmmmmmmmmmmm..............

Seeing as I have not hit the lottery lately, I think I am going for the lose weight option. And then I'll have the benefit of feeling better and being able to wear the clothing already in my drawers and closet. I am going back to what I know worked so well for me ~ the South Beach Plan. I am on day three of phase one, and the good new is that I haven't eaten either one of the animals or any of the neighborhood children. Not yet. Surprisingly, it's felt pretty good. No major cravings, minus the trip down the bread aisle at Publix yesterday. I had never actually been able to smell the sweet roll/honey bun things through their plastic wrapping as I walked past them before, nor had I ever heard them talking to me.

You know you want to sit in the floor right now and eat me... you can smell my carbs... your body longs for them... open me and feel my tastiness on your tongue...

If you doubt for one second that the sweet rolls spoke to me as I passed them, then you have never been addicted to carbs or been on a low-carb diet. And that gives me two good reasons not to like you.

So, working toward losing the excess. Adding in as much protein as I can stomach. And I am pretty sure that I'll be dreaming about corn chips and yeast rolls by the end of the week, though I rarely eat either of the two. Your mind does funny things to you when you know you shouldn't have something.

I am thinking steak bombs for dinner, which are cut up steak with a smudge of cream cheese topped with a sliced jalapeno and wrapped in bacon. See, my mouth can water at the thought of protein...

1 comment:

Erika said...

Those sound yummy! My mouth waters at the thought too.