Friday, February 25, 2011

Soooooooo not a morning person...

If there's one thing I hate to be told it's, "Oh, you're a stay-at-home-mom? That's the most difficult job in the world!" No, it's not. Really, it's not difficult. Staying at home and not working outside this house requires little to no thought about much of anything except the grocery list and the laundry and what day your gonna scrub the tub and toilets. See, no brain cells required. Oh, and I don't have to get up as the sun peeks its sleepy head over the eastern horizon waking up the little critters of nature.

Seriously... let me describe difficult/hard:
Wake up at 5:30 and shower and dry hair and put on real clothes and makeup (including blush and mascara).
Wake the kids, feed them something resembling breakfast, get them dressed, and comb their bed head.
Leave the house at 7:00 am or earlier to drop said kids off at school and join the masses in a slow rush (called TRAFFIC) to get to work on time.
Work all day ~ use my brain, talk to adults and make complete sentences all day long, punch numbers, or do whatever it is that I would do if I worked.
Pick my kids up just as the sun is ready to call it a day. Unfortunately all the people of the world still have plenty left to do in their day.
Surely I'd have to feed the kids again. And perhaps do a load of laundry. Oh, and there would a husband in the mix somewhere, I guess.

I'm exhausted just typing it. So, now maybe you can see why it perturbs me for someone to tell me that I have the hardest job on earth. No I don't. I'm a full time mom. Granted, I may not shower until 2 in the afternoon, may not have on matching clothing most days, and I may not have a complete hour of adult communication between the sun rising and descending, but it's not hard. The most challenging part of staying at home is learning to put yourself on the back burner, putting your kids and their juice and snack and school functions before the use of your brain cells or the chasing of your dreams. That's the difficult part, but the ease that it creates in the household is well worth it all.

"Where the heck did all this come from?" you may ask. David had a big field trip in the chartered bus today to the State Capitol and had to be there to load the bus at 6:45. Do you know how many people are out and about at that awful hour of the day???? Hustling and bustling and moving and shaking. And I just don't think it's right. And I am so incredibly thankful that I don't have to do it every day. And I jut want to give a big shout-out to all the working moms out there, because, to be quite honest, I don't know how you do it.

Right now, I am praying over some ideas and opportunities that I have in front of me that would allow me to work creatively from home. I can still be home when my kids get home, I won't have to put on real clothes every day or mascara, and I can use my fingers to create things that make my heart swell. And I totally covet the prayers of anyone reading these words that I (along with God, of course) find a way to work it all out. I've got some things in the future I want to do concerning my writing that require a good deal of money, and the household is always in need of more cash (especially with baseball firing up and gas skyrocketing). And I will make a special point to say a little prayer for all the working moms out there every day... for your energy, strength, and that you have the time to apply your mascara before you get in the car.

1 comment:

Rebecca said...

I have to have a mental checklist as I get in the car. Do I have on deodarent? Did I brush my teeth? Do I have my phone?
If I answer yes to all of those, then I can get through the day, even if I have forgotten something else.
(This post made my day!)