Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Poetry...

It's a two post day...

I took a walk earlier today and had some tunes in my ear. Today, I listened to Switchfoot's Hello Hurricane album. One of the songs really spoke to me, and I can't even really say why.

I've been thinking a lot lately about poetry. Not about reading it, per say, because that's not really my cup of tea. But I remember the days when I used to write the stuff. I could sit down in my little bedroom as a teenager and pull out my yellow legal pad and my pencil and just ooze creativity. Usually my words centered around puppy love or mega-hurts caused by said puppy love, but they were mine, and I used the pencil and paper to work out the angst within me.

I couldn't write a poem now to save my life. Well, maybe I could to literally save my life; I could come up with something. But that's not how I sort things out anymore. But when I listen to music, I hear something more behind the words, the angst behind the melody, the movement of the pen on paper working the beauty of creation out through continual strokes. Music is simply poetry with instruments.

So here's the lyrics to the song ("Always" by Switchfoot) that I fell in love with today:

This is the star, this is your heart
This is the day you were born
This is the sun, these are your lungs
This is the day you were born

And I am always, always, always yours
And I am always, always, always yours

These are the scars deep in your heart
This is the place you were born
And this is the hole where most of your soul comes ripping out
From the places you've been torn

And it is always, always, always yours
And I am always, I'm always, I'm always yours

Hallelujah, I'm caving in
Hallelujah, I'm in love again
Hallelujah, I'm a wretched man
Hallelujah, every breath is a second chance, yeah

And it is always, always, always yours
And I am always, I'm always, always yours
Always, always, I'm always yours, I'm yours
Always, always, I am always yours

1 comment:

Melanie said...

LOVE this!!! Beautiful!

Blessings,
Melanie