Sunday, February 27, 2011

One Less Lonely Girl

Pass me the Motrin... I've got Beiber Fever.

After a long day of discovering that I was not placed on this earth to hand-stamp jewelry (another blog post in and of itself, trust me), Madalyn and I headed off to the Amstar to catch the Justin Beiber movie. We were running late, of course. Late has become my norm since Madalyn stepped into my life; there's simply no way to leave the house on time for anything. But at least we skipped the previews, and I saved myself a bazillion conversations about all the upcoming movies that we just have to see.

The movie was beyond interesting and on into enlightening. It's been a while since I've been a wispy headed swooning young girl. I remember it but am so far removed from it that I've forgotten what it feels like to pine for someone. For me, there was New Kids on the Block, but with them there were five guys to choose from and the adoration factor was thus divided. You had your favorite (mine was Joey) and your second favorite (my numero dos was Jordan) and so on after that. When you were screaming at the concert or buying poster, it wasn't one you were adoring, it was a group. So the scenes of all the girls screaming and weeping and all Beibered-up in their tee shirts and what not ~ well, it was eye opening.

Where does it start? Who writes the first line of the fairy tale on our hearts? You know the one... Mr. Perfect is out there somewhere, and hopefully he looks like Justin Beiber or Joey McIntyre and he'll serenade you and profess his undying affection for you and the whole world will make sense and be a better place. I'll admit it; I had the fairy tale floating through my head in my teens, and I know that it's one of the factors that contributed to my involvement in such a twisted, unhealthy relationship. But where did it come from, that belief in my head that perfection was out there? I have no idea.

I guess it doesn't so much matter where it comes from, it's what I do to keep my daughter from falling into the trap of the falsehood of the fairy tale. It's how I keep my daughter from worshipping (for lack of a better term) any human on this earth and learning to depend on the only man who will never let her down. The only man who has already given up his life for her, traveled from the ends of the universe to find her, spoken of the truest words of love she'll ever hear. How do I go about that, though, when Jesus is the intangible? Crazy to say this, but Justin Beiber is more tangible in today's society than Jesus Christ. But Jesus's love song to our little girls is ten thousand times more beautiful. Salvation. Peace. Freedom. How do I play that song for her so that she never falls for the falsehood?

In one particular part of the movie, it showed how Justin's staff goes into the audience at each concert and picks the One Less Lonely Girl at random. You know the drill... it hasn't changed. One girl is plucked from the crowd, sat on a stool in the middle of the stage, and Justin sings to her, sings his hit song, "One Less Lonely Girl." To her alone. Well, alone, except for their 40,000 closest friends in the audience. Be still my heart. But here's the deal; it's only one per show. Just one. So, if they did 80 shows in a tour, that would only be 80 lucky little ladies.

But with God, my odds for being the One Less Lonely Girl are much higher. He longs for me. He calls on my name. He singles me out every day. I am one less lonely girl in Him.

I will betroth you to me forever; I will betroth you in righteousness and justice, in love and compassion. I will betroth you in faithfulness; and you will acknowledge the LORD.
Hosea 2:19-20


1 comment:

vmlm said...

Beautiful.
My daughter is almost five and already talks about marrying celebrities...it's a scary grown up world out there for our little girls and boys.
Thanks for this.