Monday, January 3, 2011

The internal wicked witch laugh...

If you could hear my insides, they'd be screeching out the most divine Wicked Witch of the West laugh your imagination could muster... the kids are going back to school tomorrow. And I am excited about it. Probably a little too much. Probably the same level of excitement the green-skinned hag possessed in her heart when she exclaimed to the precious red-shoe-wearing Dorothy, "I'll get you my pretty!!!"

Fact is, my kids get on my nerves. They are lovely little souls of which I have the most genuine affection and esteem. However, they whine, kick each other, play the quiet-as-a-mouse (or mousk, as pronounced by Madalyn) for all of 12 seconds before proclaiming a time-out, scream, slam doors, roll their eyes when told we have to make a shopping trip to Publix, hate to brush their teeth or take baths or comb their hair or put on fresh clothes, demand a lot of snacks during the day, drink my Diet Pepsi without permission... need I go any further?

I start to feel a little inadequate when I read posts from my home-schooling Facebook friends. I don't happen to know anyone in real life that home schools (as in here where I live), but I have a ton of Facebook friends that are currently or have home schooled one or all their kids. And, I must admit, I have no clue how they do it. First things first, I can barely get my kids to throw their trash in the trash can much less teach them their multiplication tables and test them on grammar. Let me even go so far as to say this - the certified teachers have a hard enough time teaching David his multiplication tables! All teaching aside, I can't imagine spending that much time with my kids. As in no time away. None at all. Like as in I am their mother, laundry-doer, reading coach, and math instructor. I simply can't wrap my brain around it.

So while all these competent ladies and abundantly patient moms are talking about beginning their second semester of home schooling, I am relishing in the thought of sipping the second half of my coffee in peace and quiet tomorrow morning for the first time in nearly three weeks (seeing as David was at home with me most of that last week of school before the break). The Wicked Witch of the West has been ticking down the seconds until she can scoot the rug-rats out the door with hair freshly combed and snacks in hand for the long school day. And I will tell them that I missed them when I pick them up tomorrow afternoon, but that will be a lie. A dreadful lie of which I will go ahead and ask forgiveness. Because I will cherish every second of the school hours tomorrow running errands without eye-rollers in the backseat, looking at whatever I want to look at in the store, writing however many words in my manuscript I so desire, and not having to talk out loud if I don't wish. Just the thought sends shivers up my spine...

1 comment:

Kristin said...

This homeschooling momma is quite envious of your coming peaceful days. The decision to never have time alone was a tough one, and there are days when I really wish things were different. Really. And who knows? Maybe one day they will be. We all just have to do the best we can. Enjoy your day tomorrow and think of me... I'll be the one teaching the 2s multiplication table. Seriously.