Friday, January 21, 2011

Dreams

If you are a shrink and happen to be reading this, please shoot me a private email about what the following means...

I dream. Like every night. Vivid dreams. Ones that leave me feeling unrested in the morning. Some leave me scratching my head all day. This week's dreams have been particularly interesting in their content.

The other night, I dreamed that one of my top front teeth was cracked. Instead of it being a vertical crack, the break stretched across the tooth horizontally. It had not broken off, but I could feel the crack, feel that the tooth was about to give way and come completely off. Along with that tooth, one on the bottom had chipped off. In this same dream, we (me and Scott) were buying the house we live in right now. The only difference between our real life house and its dream version was in the kitchen ~ the dream kitchen was old, like as in 1800's old, and needed to be redone. So as I surveyed the kitchen, all the things that needed to be remodeled, I discovered there were bottles of old milk left in a slide out contraption that in my dream I knew to be a milk warmer (is there any such thing in real life... I doubt it), I kept running my tongue over the cracked teeth knowing I needed to see the dentist soon. Of course even in my dream when I went to the dentist office I had to wait quite a while to be seen. So it's good to know there are certain things that carry into deep REM from conscious life.

Last night takes the prize for all time weirdness. I am still shaking my head and trying to figure out if I need psychiatric help. Last night was all about animals, and the setting was my aunt's house. There was a couch in the kitchen that had an entire family of chipmunks living in the cushions. There was a bear that tried to come inside. There were three foxes. There was a snake in the garage. There were multiple dogs in the backyard. And I was supposed to be house sitting while my aunt and uncle were out of town. Strangely enough, there was some sort of family function going on simultaneously with my parents there and even Buddy Love was present. In fact, Buddy was the one who located the family of chipmunks in the couch. My entire night was spent wrangling creatures and getting them out the door and back into nature. Needless to say, I am exhausted.

As if the critters weren't enough to wear me out, Madalyn came to snuggle with me around 2:30. Have I mentioned what an awful bed fellow she is???? After an hour of wrestling with her in the flesh and woodland critters in my mind, I picked her up and put her back in her rightful place. Dear me. Is it nap time yet?

1 comment:

Erika said...

I have dreams where my teeth are cracking and falling out too. It's disturbing and I always wake up a little freaked about it. And snakes/lizards are always the animals in my dream. Generally, there's a room full of cages and they've gotten out. Not sure where that comes from . . .ha!