Monday, December 13, 2010

What the heck was I thinking??????

Several weeks ago, I answered an email from David's 4th grade teacher entitled EMERGENCY NEED FOR VOLUNTEERS. What good stay-at-home-mom of two school aged children wouldn't? The need for volunteers centered around a non-profit organization, Junior Achievement, that goes into the schools and provides information about jobs, skills, and finances to children. Of course, Junior Achievement relies on the support of volunteers for the actual classroom instruction time. So, I replied to the email - sure, I can volunteer. What I didn't realize is that David's school participates in a program called JA in One Day where an entire five week curriculum is presented in one day.

One day. A full day. As in 7:45 - 2:45. Like, I have to be up, dressed, ready to go, alert and alive, and remain in that state for an entire day.

When that realization hit me, I made a pledge to myself to delete all emails in the future with subjects similar to EMERGENCY NEED FOR VOLUNTEERS without even opening to read it. I will not be duped again.

Being the professional procrastinator I am, I have spent the past two and half hours tearing apart sheets and sheets and sheets and sheets of perforated games cards for the various activities we will be engaging in tomorrow. I really had no idea that the bulk of my prep time would be spent tearing apart card stock instead of reading over material. All game stuff is separated, in individual bags or envelopes, and ready to go. Me, on the other hand, not so much ready to go...

It's the week before Christmas. My list of things to do is far longer than the list of things done. And I will be spending an entire day in a class of 5th graders talking about jobs, job skills, and globalization - things of which I know nothing about since I haven't worked in ten years or completed college. I can hear myself now, "You know, students, had I completed college and actually began a career in any field other than motherhood, then I might have a list of job skills such as those we are discussing today."

I know what you're all thinking, and it's not true. I am not downing myself when I make the above statement. Just stating the obvious. The volunteer booklet that outlines the curriculum tells me in several locations to use my career, education, and expertise to exhibit the key points on the lesson. Hmmmmmm. I'll have to be creative with my delivery.

So tomorrow, you won't find me at Walmart completing the shopping list or in my living room floor wrapping gifts. You'll find me in a classroom of 5th graders discussing the relevancy of job skills and entrepreneurship. Can I instead discuss the need for the boys to pick a profitable field so that they can support their family, and stress with the girls to look for that certain fire in the eyes of a man that shows he has the determination to make something of himself one day and support you to stay at home with your children?

I think I better stick to the script...

1 comment:

Erika said...

I can't believe they cram that all into one day. We have Jr Achievement too, but the volunteer for each classroom can present it one lesson at a time. Not sure how a full day would hold the kids attention.