Friday, November 5, 2010

Yesterday... one of the best days in a while...

After a second trip to doc-in-the-box on Wednesday, a steroid shot in the rump, and a filled prescription of a decongestant/antihistamine with the longest list of warnings I've ever seen on a prescription, I woke up feeling a little more refreshed than I had in two weeks yesterday. On my birthday. My 34th. The time is drawing nigh that I will skirt around the number, but for now, I am pretty proud of 34. I guess. But that's not where I am going with this post...

I needed my energy yesterday for on the agenda was a big trip to Ft. Toulouse with David's school. I was excited to go especially since I spent most of my childhood in Alabama just a short distance from the Fort and had never crossed through the gates. We loaded the charter bus at 7:00 and headed southeast to Wetumpka, Alabama to surround ourselves with history. I was assigned two other boys to chaperon, given a map and questions to answer throughout the day, and we were set off to explore.

I must say that I enjoyed it thoroughly. Seeing anything through the eyes of three 9 year old boys is entertaining, but add in muskets and cannons firing sporadically during the day and that brings a whole other element to things. We'd be right in the midst of pioneer men starting fire with flint and iron, a musket would fire in the distance, and the three little heads would start spinning and saying in chorus, "Was that the cannon? Was that a gun? Where is it? Where's it coming from?" Thankfully, we were able to view the musket firing from close up, watched men making ammunition, a lady dying yarn, a man carving wood (and speaking in Native Indian tongue for us - fascinating man, perhaps the most fascinating one there to me), Indians shooting their handmade bow and arrows, women cooking in pioneer fashion complete with wooden bowls and adobe oven. There were lots of animal furs to handle and beg mom to buy for you - cause you know every home needs a coyote fur on the coffee table in the living room.

It was a great day, and the best part of the trip was the fact that all three boys kept looking at one another and at me and repeating this phrase all day long: "THIS IS THE BEST FIELD TRIP EVER!!!"

Shortly after I arrived home, I got the best news ever. I hadn't mentioned the fact that my mom had scans scheduled for yesterday. I had attempted many posts in the past week, but for some reason I struggled with getting my words out. When I know the scans are near, I sort of go into this place in my soul - this quiet place, this I know I shouldn't worry but I can't help it place, this place that just wants to be silent sometimes because if I don't speak it or write it then it must not be so. This time around, I just couldn't bear the thought of more spots. My personal prayer to God was please nothing new. And I am beyond elated to report that there's nothing new. No major change in what was already present, but the fact that there are no new spots tells the radiologist and the oncologist (combined with good blood labs over the past few months) that things are moving in the right direction!

My heart leaps for joy! A rush of relief went through my body and soul when my father called to tell me the news. I could tell by the tone of his voice before he reported a detail that the news was good. I am happy for my mother - that she can continue on the current treatment that has her feeling relatively well and living a normal life. I am so happy for my father who I know has been ready to hear some good news about his bride. I am just plain happy!

So thank you, Lord, for the best birthday ever! No fancy gifts, no frills and thrills, but a life full of happiness and love!

No comments: