Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Thanksgiving

Today, I will spend the bulk of my day preparing the home for Thanksgiving. As I type, the oven is preheating at 450 degrees for my first batch of cornbread for my dressing. I need to clean David's carpet in his room and go over all the bathrooms.

Every year since David was two, I guess, we've done Thanksgiving at our home. In the beginning, it was perhaps one of the most stressful things I had ever done. I will never forget the first time I prepped a turkey at my kitchen sink on Patti Court in Montgomery. As I read over the instructions attached to the store-bought frozen bird, I found myself saying aloud to no one but myself, "I have to put my hands WHERE???" But I did it, and I firmly believe that every woman in the world should prepare a turkey at least once in their life. It's a rite of passage, kinda like child birth. Once you've accomplished it, life feels slightly different and you are impressed with yourself.

I also remember the stress of having to orchestrate all the various food items. How to time everything just so to have it all ready at the same time. In the beginning, I made detailed lists of what to do and in what order. Now I just kinda know and don't feel the need for writing things down.

Things have changed a lot in the last seven years ~ that's how long I've been in command of Thanksgiving. I'm older. I guess one could assume I'm wiser (though that is debatable). But one thing is for sure ~ I am a lot less anxious of a person. If it's not all perfect, well, so what. If my house is not immaculate, who cares. I used to feel inadequate that I don't know how or have a desire to learn to cook giblet gravy. Now, I don't care. I buy the jarred kind, and that's just what you should expect around here at my Thanksgiving. No doubt, the rest of of my food will be tasty enough to make up for the lack of homemade gravy. Because the purpose of Thanksgiving is not to show what you can do, how much of a super woman you are, and how good your gravy is. Thanksgiving, for me, has become the holiday my kids actually look forward to because they truly enjoy it being in our home. They love it that their cousins come to eat and play. They love the feeling of the tradition, even though they don't really understand the meaning of the word. But they feel it none the less.

So, happy Thanksgiving to all. Hope your day is filled with good food, family, lots of laughter, memories, and gravy (whether homemade or jarred).

No comments: