Sunday, November 21, 2010

Over the course if my parenthood, there have been many occasions in which I desperately wished my children came equipped with some sort of warning light. I think on the back of the back of the neck would be the perfect location. In my dreams, it would work somewhat like traffic signal. Green for all is well, yellow for sickness/accident/major tantrum up ahead, and red for down-for-the-count.

If David came tricked out with said warning light, yesterday it would have shown yellow, though throughout the day he gave no physical sign of what would come in the wee hours of the morning.

All this week, he had looked forward to attending one of his best friend's birthday party ~ a camp-out theme complete with tent in the backyard, campfire, tent, and nine other rambunctious boys. I packed up some extra clothes in case he got cold, rolled up his sleeping bag, and took him to his friend's house at 5:00. Around 11:15, just as Scott and I were walking up the stairs to go to bed, the phone rang. David yacked all in the tent. Great.

Scott headed right out to get him, and I prepared his room for a long evening. Towel on the floor, trash can with a bag inside it, extra blankets. But I really had no idea what I was in store for. At this juncture, if David had been born with that lighting system, his would have blinking bright red.

I learned something new last night ~ there are worse things to clean up than throw up. I won't get into any more detail than that. Just know that the good Lord got me through last night, and I have thanked Him over and over again for it. I am still in amazement that I didn't join David in the intestinal party he was having. At one point, I was on the verge... well, at several points.

My son can be such a little poo-poo head here lately, but last night I was reminded that he's still just a little man. And he still needs me, whether he likes to admit or not. And that I do have patience in the weirdest situations. In fact, the more strange and disgusting the situation, the more abundant my patience. Amazing. I think I can attribute that one to God as well.

So prayers for my little David who is thankfully peacefully at sleep at this moment. But I am praying that he will be able to keep fluids down when he wakes up, and that this nasty one doesn't make its way around the family on this Thanksgiving week.

1 comment:

Erika said...

Yes, it is amazing how the little things can set us off, but we are able to find the strength when it matters. Poor guy and poor mama! I hope he is feeling better and everyone doesn't get it.