Sunday, November 28, 2010

In between multiple panic attacks...

In between multiple panic attacks, we successfully put up the Christmas tree. Both of them. The Auburn themed tree downstairs was done last night, and the upstairs family tree was just completed. All with the help of a five year old, no doubt.

I know I have blogged about this in past years, my lack of patience. But there's a whole other side to my lack of patience, and that would be Madalyn's personality. She's precious and funny and can be ever so sweet. But she doesn't like to listen, has her own ideas about what she wants to do and the way she wants things to look, and I find that my lack of patience combined with her personality is a lethal combination for any project. Add in my obsessive compulsive disorder (no, I have not been officially diagnosed, but rather feel I have the propensity towards such) which is brought out by spots on the mirrors and Hallmark collectible ornaments not being hung properly or their bubble wrap placed back in the box - well, as you can guess, getting out the Christmas stuff proves to be a little tricky for me and my daughter.

But we made it. And I know that each year will be a little easier. At least this year she didn't argue with me about which ornaments were breakable or off limits. She actually stopped to ask, and if I responded that they were indeed fragile, she passed them over to me with no argument. We did have some words about my vintage section of the tree; it's the area up near the top where I placed all the ornaments she is not supposed to touch even if the tree begins to fall on top of her head and she needs to protect her face with her hands. Like, seriously, if I find out that her little tiny fingers have touched any of said vintage items, she will pay. Not sure how, put I will cross that bridge when we get there, and if I know my daughter, we will most definitely get there within a couple weeks time. And I am already planning on doing a whole post about my most sentimental ornaments on my tree as I have a few newly passed down from my mom that hung on my tree when I was little.

So, right now as I type, I am surrounded by a huge mess and little artificial pine needles. I need to get things straightened up and squared away and vacuumed over so that I can turn on the lights when the sun goes down and admire the handiwork of my daughter and me. And thank God for answering my prayer for patience...

2 comments:

Chelle said...

Madalyn's presonality reminds me so much of The Teenager's when she was that age. If it makes you feel better, The Teenager appears to be turning out mostly OK so, enjoy the ride, it's like a roller-caoster; bumpy on accasion and over too fast :)

Erika said...

Hey, just take my approach and don't put up a tree! :) I do need to get the outside done though so I'm not such a scrooge.