Friday, October 1, 2010

The latest happenings..

This week has flown by... funny how time continuously speeds up as the days go by. I am tired, very tired. Scott's lack of schedule has led to us staying up later but still having to get up early to get the kids off to school. Me - I need my rest. Desperately. So I am looking forward to getting back to a normal routine around here.

That brings me to my first bit of news... Scott starts his new place of employment on Monday. He is ready to get back to work, and I am ready to have my little schedule back around here. He feels good about where he is going and the people he will be working with, especially since he knows the other two managers that will be there with him so well. I've said many, many, many, many prayers about Scott's work situation over the past several months, so time will tell whether this is the right place for him to be. I hope so... he's not one who likes to move around from place to place, and he's so skilled at what he does. He deserves a place that appreciates him and values his place in their organization.

A big stress this week has been school - primarily speaking of David here (surprise, surprise!). Monday night, we attended the family extravaganza at the Intermediate School, and I am so glad we did. We were able to see first hand what his daily work looks like and what is required and expected of him. Good for me, bad for David. This week I have tightened down on him more now that I realize he hasn't been doing his daily language arts lesson properly all school year. I don't know what to think about him sometimes - it's like the elevator doesn't go all the way to the top. I don't say that to sound ugly, but in all honesty, when information is thrown at him, whether it be school stuff or requests from me, and it's just the luck of the draw as to what actually sticks. I went over his language arts work with him on Tuesday afternoon. It focused primarily on using the apostrophe to signify the possessive noun and contractions. That's the focus. She gives them a new sentence each day to correct, goes over the answer with them each day, and then tests them on the SAME sentences on Friday. No reason not to get a good grade. So last night, when I wrote out the sentences with no punctuation for him to correct, he didn't add a single apostrophe. I almost cried. When I made up my own simple sentences for him to correct, he could do it just fine. But don't throw in an extra adjective or anything...

When we got our graded papers on Tuesday, enclosed was his first science test of the year, on which he received a 54. Yes, that would be a 54 out of a possible 100 points. The test was on the African Dwarf Frog, which why in the hell anyone would ever need to know as much about the African Dwarf Frog as these kids should know right now is just beyond me. Well, I guess I should say as much as all the other kids know, seeing as how David failed the test. There were two questions that even I thought were confusing when we went over the test yesterday with the study guide, and David is supposed to ask his teacher about them today. I pray that he does. He has a test on the Fiddler Crab today, and we have studied every night this week and went over the study guide a final time this morning. He should make a B today... there are a couple of things he is still uncertain of, but I would be comfortable with him making a B.

When did life become about apostrophes and Fiddler Crabs? Like I told Scott last night, David breezing through school is catching up to him. I've asked the teachers all along, "David seems to struggle with this-and-so... is this normal? He's not organized and not completing things... is he okay?" And every teacher, from 1st grade to 3rd grade, have answered, "Oh, David is fine... doing great! Just a normal little boy..." But he's not fine. He obviously hasn't been doing great. Because why would all of the sudden everything change? Why was he fine and great just six months ago and now he's failing science tests? It doesn't make any sense to me...

Now some news about myself... I received an email yesterday from the company sponsoring the writing contest I entered a couple of months ago. When I saw it in my inbox, I almost threw up in my mouth. No results yet; it was just an email to thank everyone for the entries and to say that the winners would be announced next week. They are also offering "feedback" on entries for a fee... they will mail you your manuscript back with written comments and suggestions from the judges. I am thinking I should pay for that - it would be nice to know what a professional eye thinks when they read over my work. The critique would help with future writings, both for contests and my novel. Along with the email came that overwhelming sense of inadequacy that sweeps over me from time to time. The realization that I am incredibly uneducated and not familiar with formal writing skills and styles and plot development and character development and all the fancy terms that go along with it. The fact that I am this name without any pretty credentials following it. But the hope is still there that what I write is good enough, moving enough, to overcome all my misgivings. I don't anticipate to place in my first writing contest, but I didn't expect to be this nervous and wound up about it, either.

Okay - that's it. Marathon post today, and I still didn't ramble about all I could have rambled about. But there's always tomorrow...

1 comment:

Erika said...

I googled African Dwarf frogs just to leave a witty comment, but then I was floored to see that I'm pretty sure those are the frogs we have for the boys. ha ha Maybe I should be studying with David. I didn't even know what they were called.