Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Emerging...

I am emerging from the streptococcus fog I have been under... my word. Why is it the older you get the worse strep is on your body? When Madalyn was sick two weeks ago, it took all I could do to keep her away from her neighborhood friends and stop her from eating everything in the pantry. Not so much the same experience for me.

Friday morning, I went to doc-in-a-box after a tough evening with fever and chills. I pretty much knew it was strep, and I was glad to go get my throat swabbed in exchange for the magic medicine that would make it all go away. By Friday afternoon, my fever had spiked to 103.5 despite the copious amounts of Advil and Tylenol coursing through my veins. I was pretty much delirious for the span of two hours. I remember texting Scott to let him know how high my fever was under the pretense that someone should know there was a possibility they might find me expired on the couch with a wet rag on my forehead and rerun episodes of Grey's Anatomy going on the Lifetime channel. Just trying to give him a heads up, because I really did think I was dying. It certainly felt like my insides were boiling, and we already know my brain is fried...

Saturday, I laid on the couch all day reading a book and watching football with my poor husband who had taken the Saturday off to enjoy his birthday weekend. I am very sorry there was little enjoyment in the weekend outside of Auburn's continued success on the football field and having a half-dead remnant of his wife sitting beside him.

Sunday, I did what any strep recovering mom/patient should do... I sat at the ball park all day watching my little man and his compadres play in the first ever kid pitch baseball tournament. I wouldn't have missed it for the world, though I was a wee bit grumpier than usual, and was swapping comments with another parent on the other side within the first 15 minutes of the first inning. Hey - I was on antibiotics, Cherritussin, and Advil and had sweat out 2 pounds of fluids in the previous 48 hours, so I got a little worked up. No harm, no foul. (And I promise to give the gift of a quality baseball post very soon detailing the experience as a whole... I know, you may sleep with anticipation now...)

Finally, during the day yesterday, after I thought I was going to pass out from low blood sugar, I quickly scarfed down a whole can of Double Noodle Campbell's soup for breakfast. Someone was nice enough to remove those daggers that had been stuck in my tonsils for the past few days one by stinking one, and the throat pain began to subside. And, as the pain subsided, my head began to clear (a little). And this morning, I feel somewhat like a real person. Somewhat.

I don't get sick all that often, but when I do, it's a good one. I go all out. In the midst of all fever and the body aches and the misery, I thought about the people that fight every day with their body... I thought about the few people I know that lost their battles in the last couple of weeks... I thought about a lot of really deep stuff in the midst of times when there wasn't a whole lot of coherent thinking. For many, the way I have felt over the last several days is a common thing in their life, and I honestly don't know how people deal with chronic illness that has you down for the count like that. For me, I am feeling better today and know that each day will be more and more like myself. I also know that I will probably be healthy and have no major sickness like that for another two years. But some aren't as lucky as me.

So today, I say thank you to my Lord and Savior for making me healthy and enabling my body to come back from the sickness. And I ask Him to wrap his arms around those who are suffering physically more than I can even imagine and speak to them and let them know that You are there beside them. Amen.

1 comment:

Erika said...

I'm glad you feel better and I can't believe you went to the ballfield. Oh wait, yes I can because you are CRAZY! ha ha I'm anxious to hear how the fearless Bandits did with the kid pitch!