Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Book Review: Love & Respect for a Lifetime

I mentioned a few weeks ago that I had joined Booksneeze. Hey - free books and all I have to do is write about them... I'm in! For my first book, I chose Love & Respect for a Lifetime by Dr. Emerson Eggerichs. I am always looking for advice on the subject of marriage. Let's face it - in today's society where divorce has become the norm, the stress of maintaining healthy relationships in the midst of raising children and holding down jobs leaves most of us seeking words of wisdom on how to put more love and respect into our marriages.

I was a little surprised when the book arrived in the mail. It's a small, ornate book - beautiful pages throughout with pictures, lovely scripts and fonts. The book looks and reads more like a gift book. In fact, I think this book would be perfect to include in a bag or box with other goodies for a wedding or anniversary gift or even as a gift for a recently engaged couple.
Love & Respect for a Lifetime takes a look at the differences in how men and women translate communication from their spouse. Dr. Eggerichs breaks it down by using the colors blue and pink as representing the man and woman, how vastly different they are, but how when mixed together they form the color purple which Christians translate as the color of God. I had never heard some of the points Dr. Eggerichs made in the book, and I was very surprised at how he constantly reminds the reader that through marriage we can fully demonstrate God's love in our life. He really tugged at my soul when he stated, "In the ultimate sense, your marriage has nothing to do with your spouse. It has everything to do with your relationship to Jesus Christ."

Despite its small size, Love & Respect for a Lifetime is packed with incredibly challenging and useful tidbits to help anyone communicate with more love and respect in their marriage. Be prepared to be challenged and to take a closer look at how you treat and speak to your spouse!

No comments: